Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
burkbuilds

Back on two wheels for a nice ride today

Background, over the last 4-5 years I've put between 50,000 and 60,000 miles on a combination of about three bikes. April 15th 2012 I

went down from a collision with a couple of dogs and wound up in a wheelchair for three months and I'm still working on regaining more

use of my right leg. During my recovery, I decided to buy a new bike and convert it to a trike, mainly to pacify my wife who really didn't

want me to ride again at all. I gave the trike about four weeks of daily riding and just wasn't happy with the compromise compared with

being on two wheels, so I put it all back to a regular two wheel set up. Today, I finally got it out of my shop and onto the road for a nice

hour or so ride around my area of North Georgia (USA).

WOW! How nice. What a great feeling to be back on two wheels again. I had almost forgotten the effect riding on two wheels has on

me. I just tooled around on some country roads for about an hour, enjoying the feeling of being "one" with the bike again. I wish I was

a better writer so I could put into words the pleasure I feel when I'm riding a bike. There are so many factors that are all working

together when I'm riding that it's hard to describe. First, there's the way a bike just seems to be an extension of your body and mind

when you ride it. When you first learn to ride there's a lot of conscious thought going into riding, but it seems like you eventually reach

a phase where the bike is responding to your thoughts more than it is to your body. For example, when you go into a turn, you get to

a point where it seems like you are just thinking and the bike is just leaning the way you think instead of feeling like you are physically

making it lean. I can't really explain it, that's just how it feels to me. Then there's the way you feel connected to the world you are

riding through. When I'm in an automobile, it always feels like I'm watching a movie through the windows, but when I'm riding, I'm part

of the movie, I feel the temperatures, the wind, smell the aromas, good and bad, and I hear things I just don't hear when I'm in a car

even with the windows down. Finally, when I'm riding, my mind is engaged and working really well, I am more aware of my

surroundings, and yet I also feel like my creativity is in overdrive. I find myself coming up with all kinds of ideas, solving problems and

yet I also feel a really relaxing feeling at the same time.

Well, anyway, all that to say, I had a really nice ride. I didn't actually go anywhere, just made a big loop through the "country" and

back, but it sure was nice. I hope you all find your rides just as wonderful as I found this one today. :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Back on two wheels for a nice ride today

BB, you were meant to be on 2 wheels. So very glad you healed up enough to make the transition back to a bike. The trike was an amazing project but it wasn't meant to be part of your next few years..................................... Maybe in another 20 years or so.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
fatoldfool

I know the feelings. Didn't have a bike for about 20 years, and bought one after my wife died. Yep, I know the feelings and you described them well.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
PimpS

Burkbuilds your writing is great to read. I already wrote that your words beautifuly describe a man's passion, in your case 2 wheeled driving machine. It is very inspiring to read, about your recovery and courage/passion. Every day i check the winter weather to fight it with my bike, counting the days... I got my delivery from US online shop (i believe i can't tell which, not to spam) today; cosmetics like Nevr dull polish wipe, chrome chok knob, mountsble clock, and visor for light... Can't wait to mount it al up... This spring/season gonna be awesome!!! Yiiiihaaaaaaa!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
5th_bike

So glad to read you're well enough to go on two wheels again, and you're so right about the associated feeling, this the best description I ever read of it. :cool: :2tup:

Old 01-10-2013, 01:55 AM   #6
Maggie

Awesome description BB, although words, no matter how eloquent, really do suffice, do they? It is a oneness with the universe...I know exactly what you mean. Glad you had a great ride. Many more on ya!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
blaine

Glad to hear your back on two wheels.You just about said it all.Ride safe & have a great year!!!
:cool:

Old 01-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
bpdchief

Great writing, very descriptive and you are correct it is a great feeling of being one with the bike.
Glad you're back riding. Maybe being on the bike will speed the recovery of the leg.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
burkbuilds

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I think it is really impossible for someone who has never ridden a motorcycle to understand the experience, but obviously you all know exactly what I'm trying to say even when words come up short. This is a great group to be a part of, I get a kick out of knowing I have like minded people from all over the world that enjoy the same things I do. :2tup:
Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
JWR

Well said from everyone.
I am glad you are back to the enjoyable side of riding.

:2tup:

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."