Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 10-09-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
Hypno Rider

Any suggestions?

Hi guys, I just picked up a 1999 GZ250 with 2000 miles on the clock, here is the story: I got it from a friend for $200 bucks. He said he bought it from a motorcycle training school for $700 bucks because he needed something to practice on to get his license. The bike is not running. He said its been sitting for a year outside in the yard uncovered. He showed me a video of him riding the bike about a year ago, right after installing a $15 dollar eBay battery, and she fired right up strong and was riding perfectly, and that was after sitting for a couple of months. Also, very oddly, the bike has definitely been sitting but the tires have not deflated. They are still full of air. The seat is a little loose and shaky, the exhaust pipes are rusty from sitting in the rain, the gas tank is a little shaky and pretty dinged up and I don't have the keys. Other than that,she looks pretty good :2tup:
What do you guys think I should be focused on to get her up and running? All ideas will be greatly appreciated. Will a 2004 ignition fit a 1999 GZ250? Why would the gas tank and seat be loose? Should I replace the pipes or just try to clean the rust? Thanks in advance for any help guys.
P.S. I missed the most important question: should I start the work now? Or should I just wait until after the new york winter?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
JWR

Re: Any suggestions?

The left side cover has a key lock in it, you need to get this out to make a key,

The seat comes off with the key. The gas cab needs this key also.
Two bolts under the front of the seat and the tank will lift off.

Fresh gas and seafoam or berrymmans b12 to drain thru the carb, new plug.

The carb will need to be cleaned.

Pipes are the least worry now.

They will clean up with Barkeepers friend.

2004 ignition fit a 1999 GZ250?
Yes

Only you know the answer to this...
P.S. I missed the most important question: should I start the work now?

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
mrlmd1

If you get the bike running fine and plan to use it, you will need new tires. Check the date stamp on the sidewalls (in a little rectangular box imprinted in the rubber) - it gives the week and year of manufacture of the tires. If they the originals or are more than 6 years old you need to replace them even though the tread may look good or the sidewalls look OK. The rubber gets hard and brittle and loses its' grip on the road and may be a safety hazard.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Hypno Rider

Appreciate the tips guys.

@ mrlmd1: thanks, I checked the tires for life, but never considered the year they were made. I'm glad you exposed me to this because, by eye, the tires look damn good and they only have 2000 miles on them. I would have never thought about the production year or the rubber hardening. Awesome info.

@ JWR: thank you for your help. I nearly fell off my chair laughing after reading your comment. You see, I am a master hypnotist and you sent me into a trance for about a minute and a half with this statement: "only you know the answer to this...". That is one of those statements that we hypnotists use to send a person inside to reflect on things. I'm not used to having someone send "me" inside, so it was hilarious to find myself sitting there staring off into space in this trance just thinking about your statement. Cool, and a first for me. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
Hypno Rider

@JWR: the reason I asked about doing the work now is because I won't be riding much during the new york winter. I would hate to do all of the work to get it up and running again, and still have to do it all over again because it sat during the winter. I guess my question should have been, if I do the work now in October and let the bike sit until march or April, will I have to do all the work again? (hope that makes sense).

Old 10-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
raul10141964

i will do it now to bi ready for the first good day in sprin
Old 10-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
northsidegz

Hypno, will you be storing it indoors? If indoors, I would do the work now and then properly store the bike (up on blocks or motorcycle lift so the tires are off the ground) and with an empty tank and carb cleaner run through the system. On tough part (I think) will be knowing the effects of rusty pipes. They may or may not impact the airflow depending upon the extent and location of the rust. I.e. are they just surface rust spots, or are there holes in the exhaust.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
Hypno Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsidegz
Hypno, will you be storing it indoors? If indoors, I would do the work now and then properly store the bike (up on blocks or motorcycle lift so the tires are off the ground) and with an empty tank and carb cleaner run through the system. On tough part (I think) will be knowing the effects of rusty pipes. They may or may not impact the airflow depending upon the extent and location of the rust. I.e. are they just surface rust spots, or are there holes in the exhaust.

Right now it will be stored outdoors in the backyard. If I can get off my lazy tail and make room in the garage, then it will be indoors but it will be at least another month before I can tackle that job. The rust on the pipes appears to be all surface rust, and a lot of it, I can't see any holes yet. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
Hypno Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul10141964
i will do it now to bi ready for the first good day in sprin
Thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno Rider
The rust on the pipes appears to be all surface rust, and a lot of it, I can't see any holes yet. Thanks.
There's one hole you mustn't fill. It's the one that comes drilled from the factory, to let moisture drain out. It's under the exhaust pipe.