Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 07-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #21
Viirin

Re: New Rider, First Bike & Lots of Questions

Hey and welcome

I don't mean to come off like a dick straight off the bat but 1700 miles for 11 years seems like very few to me - only saying this because i had similar circumstances when buying mine and i doubt mine has it's original spedo on it. Was your bike off the road for a few years or only used for dry miles?

Again, don't mean to be a dick or anything - if the bike has 100 miles or 100,000 miles on it - makes no difference if it's running well (at least in my opinion) but ~150 miles a year just seems a little...strange

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #22
ArizonaKev

Congrats on getting your license! As far as the parking on the sidewalk question goes, I can honestly say I have no idea. My suggestion would be to ask an actual police officer sometime. Because no matter what the laws do or don't say, what really matters is what the police will or won't enforce. The law might say "no parking on the sidewalk" but that doesn't mean the police will enforce that law rigidly.

Just like here in Phoenix, Arizona : the law states that a person is not allowed to ride a bicycle on the sidewalks, they must ride in the street. But with the way people drive out here, you'd have to be crazy to ride a bicycle in the street! (unless there is a bike lane, which have very few of). And in the 26 years I have lived here, I have NEVER heard of a person cited for riding a bicycle on the sidewalk.

That's why I say, ask a police officer. Ride safe amigo :2tup:

AZ Kev
Old 07-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #23
kedebrav00

The bike was originally owned by an MSS school upstate new york which was closed down.
The bikes were purchased by a mechanic that had them in storage because he had health issues.
There were over 40 bikes to choose from and none of which were over 2000 miles. I doubt anyone would go through all that trouble to replace speedometers.

Note: For those who don't live in NYC there are parking meters called MuniMeters where you print parking pass by the hour to put in your car and commercial parking only zones.
I learned the hard way. I spoke to a ticket maid/cop after I parked my bike in the city street.
I asked the meter maid/cop if I can park he responded by saying yes but sometimes you get tickets sometimes you don't. It depends on the meter maid/cop.
I've always notice several motorcycle parking on the street. After parking at 9AM I return to my Bike at 12noon notice that I did not have any parking ticket, I then returned at 5:15PM and then noticed that I had received a parking ticket and the other bikes did not.
This happened for one simple reason. I left my license plates on my bike while the other bikers took theirs with them.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #24
GZ Jess

Wow, around here if you took the plates off your bike (or vehicle for that matter) and left it on the street, it wouldn't be there when you got back. You would have major tickets and an impound and towing fee instead of the $10 parking violation fee.

Jessica
Old 07-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #25
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ Jess
Wow, around here if you took the plates off your bike (or vehicle for that matter) and left it on the street, it wouldn't be there when you got back. You would have major tickets and an impound and towing fee instead of the $10 parking violation fee.

Jessica

Same thing here on the Island.Plus you would need to show proof of registration & insurance before vehicle would be released.

:2tup:

Old 07-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #26
kedebrav00

well I'm not sure why but this what people with bikes do.
So, I made it my business to look to see if parked bikes or scooters have plates on them, Most of them don't.
I understand the thing about towing so I asked some guys at the front desk in my office building if they ever saw bikes being towed they said yes.
They pointed me out to two bikes on the side walk. Instead on parking on the street these guys/girl parked on the side walk but they chain their bikes to a post. which is a great Idea but I don't want to have to carry a chain with me. especially on the GZ where would I store it. Well I parked my bike today and took my plates off. I didn't get a ticket or towed.
The only stupid thing I did was leaving the tail light on so I had to get it towed to the local Motorcycle shop because AAA don't jump motorcycles.
Note: I read the post about jump starting the motorcycle but there were no hills near me, plus it was raining I just got it towed.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #27
Viirin

I carry a chain on my bike and i just wrap it around the sissy bar - fortunately here, rules for parking bikes are in a nice, grey area. So no one ever says anything to me about where i park

Sorry i didn't check the picture of your bike for a sissy bar - carrying a chain in a backpack would be a pain in the ass
Old 08-31-2010, 08:44 PM   #28
kedebrav00

hey has anyone speedometer stop working and the millage gauge also stopped working. I wanted to knowif anyone has some advise before i take it to the mechanic.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #29
blaine

You likely have a broken speedometer cable.Replacement is cheap,and only a few minutes to change.speedometer and mileage gage operate as one unit.

:itsokay:

Old 09-01-2010, 02:24 AM   #30
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedebrav00
hey has anyone speedometer stop working and the millage gauge also stopped working. I wanted to knowif anyone has some advise before i take it to the mechanic.
Start your own thread in the General section or whatever.