Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 10-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: Hello Im a new owner of a GZ250 in MD

I agree with Easy. Simple and cheap with nothing to loose if it doesn't cure the situation. I might add that if the tires are 5 years old or more you may want replace them. The rubber does tend to loose it's flexibility and not grip as well. The tires will look really great but I wouldn't want to ride on them. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
Viirin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
It would probably be a good idea to add an inline fuel filter after the problem is solved.
awww thats my line - now i have nothing to contribute except good luck
Old 10-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #13
alanmcorcoran

Welcome aboard. I've had several bouts of annoying problems with my carb too (although mine has never sat as long as yours.) Sometimes (most of the time, actually) running a tank or two of gas through it has set it right. Sometimes I've had to have it cleaned (one time it took three trips to the dealer to get it set right.) When you have the tank off, take a look in the innards, make sure the "straw" is in place for the reserve function and no gunk/rust in the screen. This seems to be another area of "issues."

Good luck with your troubleshooting.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #14
menesesjesse

All Thanks,
I would consider myself very inclined mechanically. Here is the runthrough of what I did to the bike. I received it knowing the carb needed work so I removed the gas and although there was stabilizer in it I did not trust it. The tank looked great from the inside and the fuel flowed well out of it. I then went on and removed and inspected the airbox which has some oil in it. I cleaned that and then went on and removed the carb for cleaning. I knew there was a float problem because it was overflowing at during the initial start. I opened it up and the gas was like plaque I pulled the jets and cleaned them along with the float circuit. I should have disassembled the whole thing but I am not sure if I will definitely need o-rings and gaskets. Should a new o-ring go in with the pilot. Are they generic o-rings or is this something I can reuse or will I have to wait 1 week for it to come in the mail. I will try the fuel additive but I think this is a long shot due to the time the bike sat inside. The tires seem good with no signs of dry rot. They handled well and were suprisingly smooth with no jumpiness or slickness. I will keep an eye on that before I drop another 300 on a set of tires. The bike also passed the MD state inspection for whatever that is worth. Thanks all.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #15
blaine

You should have no problem reusing the o-rings.I changed the jets in mine a few times after changing intake & exhaust,and never had any problems with any o-rings.The only thing I ever needed to buy was bigger main jets.If dissembling the needle jet you need to be careful of the diaphram on top as it is very thin and easy to tear.

:2tup: :rawk:

Old 10-10-2010, 04:55 AM   #16
alantf

You mentioned that you found oil in the air box. You'll find a pipe running down from it, under the bike, with a plug & clip at the bottom, Remove the plug & drain the pipe. It's there to collect any gunge. Make sure you put the plug back in when you've finished, as the pipe needs to be airtight. :2tup:
Old 10-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #17
duosport

Quote:
Originally Posted by menesesjesse
All Thanks,
.... I cleaned that and then went on and removed the carb for cleaning. I knew there was a float problem because it was overflowing at during the initial start. I opened it up and the gas was like plaque I pulled the jets and cleaned them along with the float circuit. I should have disassembled the whole thing but I am not sure if I will definitely need o-rings and gaskets. ....
It sounds like you did a pretty good job and it is probably OK. If it is not OK I would question how you cleaned the jets. When things are clogged up the jets take the worst of it and simply soaking in carb cleaner is often not good enough. I take a thin wire and run it through the jets and remove the deposts. The existing rubber gaskets should be fine if they do not look dented or anything.

Nice job!
Old 10-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #18
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by duosport
Quote:
Originally Posted by menesesjesse
All Thanks,
.... I cleaned that and then went on and removed the carb for cleaning. I knew there was a float problem because it was overflowing at during the initial start. I opened it up and the gas was like plaque I pulled the jets and cleaned them along with the float circuit. I should have disassembled the whole thing but I am not sure if I will definitely need o-rings and gaskets. ....
When things are clogged up the jets take the worst of it and simply soaking in carb cleaner is often not good enough. I take a thin wire and run it through the jets and remove the deposts. The existing rubber gaskets should be fine if they do not look dented or anything.

Nice job!
You should NOT run any wires through the jets as you risk damaging them.After soaking they should be cleaned with compressed air or a spray cleaner.Just be careful of your eyes.

:2tup: :rawk:

Old 10-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #19
duosport

A thin wire does not damage the jets. Sorry but just soaking and hitting with air is often not removing a deposit. We shall have to agree to disagree.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #20
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by duosport
A thin wire does not damage the jets. Sorry but just soaking and hitting with air is often not removing a deposit. We shall have to agree to disagree.
You can check with any mechanic or check the instructions that comes with any carb kit,or the directions on the cleaner.I have in the past ruined good carbs by doing what you recommend.I learned the hard way not to shove any object through the jets or passages.Just trying to tell you what took me a long time to learn by trial & error.

:rawk: