Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 10-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #21
mole2

Re: working on my Bobber project...

Add me to the list of those who think bicycle handlebars should not be used on a motorcycle.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #22
seventigers

Hey guys!

Thanks for the critical input...it's interesting to different people's opinions are on this. I disagree, of course.

I would agree that for large amounts of unsupported bar length, (example: ape hangars) you've got more bar, more leverage, more possible vibration issues, etc - you CANNOT use bike bars. I know I would not...the safety issue there seems obvious to me, as it does most bikers...

However, for this light weight bike, as drag bars, this use of bicycle bars works great, is safe and tight and after over 400 miles of summer cruising these bike 'drag bars" are still on tight and safe, no slips, no rattles, no issue of any kind.

Really, i think if you guys experienced riding with these bars on you'd all agree there's not much to be concerned about...empirically speaking, I've done it - it's ok.

That said - INSERT DISCLAIMER HERE - DO NOT modify your bike from stock condition at any time or you always risk getting yer body broke up bad. Experimenting with golf industry parts for exhaust, house vents for air cleaner housing and bicycle handlebars is not normal. Neither is Rob Dyrdek, Ricky Carmichael, Ken Block or other hot rodders. These mods are untested and experimental and can result in headaches, swollen membranes, disease & ichy red bumps. Oh, and death.
I am a professional on a closed circuit track with safety airbags and emergency medical nurses riding shotgun in their stockings and high heels.

How about this: Who would ride with NO rear fender on at all?! Yikes! Major tire burn on my arse! but - looks cool as hell...

Have a great day,
Mark
Old 10-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #23
kraznos

!

Old 10-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #24
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventigers
That said - INSERT DISCLAIMER HERE - DO NOT modify your bike from stock condition at any time or you always risk getting yer body broke up bad. Experimenting with golf industry parts for exhaust, house vents for air cleaner housing and bicycle handlebars is not normal. Neither is Rob Dyrdek, Ricky Carmichael, Ken Block or other hot rodders. These mods are untested and experimental and can result in headaches, swollen membranes, disease & ichy red bumps. Oh, and death.
I am a professional on a closed circuit track with safety airbags and emergency medical nurses riding shotgun in their stockings and high heels.
I'd never "bob" my bike, but yours looks more interesting than most I've seen on here. I don't know shit about the relative safety of bicycle vs motorcycle bars, of course, and if I had to pick an opinion, I'd probably take Sarris's. That being said, I agree with your attitude - riding motorcycles is fun AND dangerous.

There's a lot of divides on here (ATTGATT, modders, helmets, re-jetters, etc.) but I hope you'll keep posting even if we give you a lot of shit about your passion. (It DOES look pretty cool!)

Can you hook me up with those nurses?
Old 10-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #25
Water Warrior 2

Just high heels and stockings !! How can you tell they are nurses ?

Old 10-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #26
alanmcorcoran

They got those little nurse hats on...
Old 10-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #27
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
They got those little nurse hats on...
Interesting uniform. Suddenly I feel a fever coming on.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #28
seventigers

Thanks guys for your support, too. The great thing about forums is they are open to anyone that wants to post almost anything - a free flow of ideas, and critiques, too. All are welcome, in my opinion.

kraznos - thank you! my next project (as you suggested) is going to be a V-twin much like that awesome beast you have built. I love the GZ250 - but after much cruising this summer it's just a bit smaller than I decided I want. So I'll sell it on craigslist and save money this winter and hopefully find a bike like a Sportster (i LOVE the new Harley 48 model - very cool - not what I can buy, but it's sweet) or a Vulcan Classic or Vstar Classic to bobber out...gotta have that fat front tire though...I dig that too much...

...and those nurses...http://naughtynurseoutfit.net/ :twisted:

(almost hard to believe there's a website for this kinda specialized thing...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznos
Don't sweat it, your bike is really original, and I don't think at that length your bars are too thin walled. You've got great imagination to take that bike to where it is, and you should be proud of how it came out. I've done a bit of riding with no rear fender just because I was painting a new one and weather was nice, you know how it is. I'd love to see what you'd come up with using a Honda or maybe a Sportster platform, you've got a good eye.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #29
seventigers

Been a long while...but spring weather made me think of riding more and finishing this paint job idea I had over the winter.

Decided to do an Army style paint job :2tup: - and it turned out awesome!! In my opinion...anyways! Love the black out look - wish i had some fork boots too...gotta get those someday.

But this one's for sale now so i can finance the next project...still watching Craigslist for a V-twin to bob (my budget is tight and i haven't found one yet).

Short video of "going green" -

Thanks for looking - enjoy!

Mark
Old 03-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #30
Water Warrior 2

Looks good in the military theme. Couple questions though. 1st, is it legal to go without signal lights in your state ? 2nd, the white fender in the pic looks familiar to this old guy. Is that what I think it is and how about a little history and more pics.