Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 11-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
alantf

Fuel additive

[attachment=0:koovwcu1]Untitled-1.jpg[/attachment:koovwcu1]

Just found this advertisement in an Australian motoring magazine. It says that it cleans the fuel system, carburettor, valves, and combustion chamber, and one dose lasts 10,000 km (just over 6,000 miles) Wynn's is a reputable company, so it sounds like it might be just the stuff for the GZ.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
steelpix

Re: Fuel additive

I've been using this in every tank. I use to use Seafoam and do from time to time. A mechanic taold me SF used all the time can be kind of rough on parts after a while and recommended Star.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
steelpix

Description
Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment is a multifunctional fuel additive which uses a unique enzyme technology that allows all engines to start easily and run smoothly, even when using ethanol-blended fuel or after sitting idle for months. Star Tron allows fuel to burn more completely, which results in maximum performance, fuel efficiency and reliable operation. Star Tron will stabilize fuel for up to two years, preventing the formation of gums and other solids that clog carburetors and fuel injectors. Star Tron helps prevent phase separation by dispersing water throughout fuel as submicron-sized droplets that can be safely eliminated while the engine operates. Star Tron Small Engine formula is ideal for use in all gas engines including; boats, cars, trucks, motorcycles, small equipment as well as engines that use pre-mix fuel.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
bpdchief

"one dose lasts 10,000 km (just over 6,000 miles)"

Just how BIG is that fuel tank? 6,000 miles is a fair piece to travel on one dose!!!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpdchief
"one dose lasts 10,000 km (just over 6,000 miles)"

Just how BIG is that fuel tank? 6,000 miles is a fair piece to travel on one dose!!!
:lol: :lol: Better than a different kind of dose lasting a lifetime.

Fuel additives are mostly a cleaner and will do a fine job which will last quite a while. Most if not all top tier fuels have a small amount of cleaner in them to aid in cleaner burning and less pollutants coming out the tail pipe. Less quality fuels will eventually mung up a carb or FI systems. I tried a lesser fuel in my Vstrom for a few tanks and the FI started popping up codes. Switched back to Chevron and the codes disappeared in a few tanks. Lesson learned.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Additives and cleaners are required in all fuels in the US, IIRC. The quality and the percentage of those cleaners is better/higher in the larger market brands. Top tier fuel stops also ensure that you aren't getting blended fuel. The cheap stuff is usually a mix of whatever was left over from several different manufacturers or sources, so there is no guarantee of how much, or which, additives you are actually pouring into your tank.