Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 12-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
alantf

battery information

I've had my GZ for 6½ years. In our warm climate I never even had to use the choke to start up. However, for the last couple of months I've started having to use the choke. When ridden regularly, it's started up within 2 or 3 seconds of pressing the starter, but if not ridden for a couple of days, I've had starting problems. It just wouldn't start unless I put it in prime for a minute or so, then took 5 or 6 seconds to fire up. I felt sure that I had a carb problem. Before I stripped the carb I decided to charge the battery, as I thought I may have run it down a bit, trying to start. After charging to 13.32 volts, it dropped to 12.36 volts. I reckoned that this was a bit low, so I bit the bullet and went down to the local vehicle spares shop, and got the equivalent battery to the factory fitted one for €30.00 ($41.00). Charged it overnight, fitted it, and, voila, the bike started, immediately, at the touch of the button. Just goes to show that what seems to be a carb problem can be something else entirely.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Cathy

Qasual - I can see that happening due to cranking it over 3+ seconds or even multiple attempts. Battery would get weak but even so you had that battery for a good amount of time so it's so-so.

Battery too good.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
I've had my GZ for 6½ years. In our warm climate I never even had to use the choke to start up. However, for the last couple of months I've started having to use the choke. When ridden regularly, it's started up within 2 or 3 seconds of pressing the starter, but if not ridden for a couple of days, I've had starting problems. It just wouldn't start unless I put it in prime for a minute or so, then took 5 or 6 seconds to fire up. I felt sure that I had a carb problem. Before I stripped the carb I decided to charge the battery, as I thought I may have run it down a bit, trying to start. After charging to 13.32 volts, it dropped to 12.36 volts. I reckoned that this was a bit low, so I bit the bullet and went down to the local vehicle spares shop, and got the equivalent battery to the factory fitted one for €30.00 ($41.00). Charged it overnight, fitted it, and, voila, the bike started, immediately, at the touch of the button. Just goes to show that what seems to be a carb problem can be something else entirely.
I had a similar problem when I purchased my used gz250 last September. I eventually ordered a new 12v 7ah agm battery off ebay for $22.00 . all I had to do was install it and it cranked right up. It was sent fully charged.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:23 AM   #4
alantf

You were lucky. Other folk have posted that they took the salesman's word that it didn't need a preliminary charge, and found that by not charging it, it went bad very shortly, and had to be replaced. The GZ hasn't got a high rate of charge. With the battery that I got, (the same as the original) I had to add acid, then charge overnight. If it lasts as long as the original (6½ years) I'll be more than happy.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
grasshopper

that's a good long time for the battery to last. I have used the agm batteries in a lot of bikes,cars and trucks I own or owned and they worked pretty good(knock on wood). when I get them I normally check the voltage on them first and read the paperwork that comes with them and pre-charge if needed. happy holidays.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

You must be vey lucky with batteries. It is good practice to fully charge a battery before putting it in service. It seems the smaller the battery the more they require a full charge initially to function reliably.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
JohnC

Those of us who cut our teeth on old British bikes know that 90% of all carburetion issues are electrical in nature... (and 90% of all ignition problems are fuel related...)