Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 08-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #1
alantf

headlight main beam

In the past there have been a number of members who advocated riding with lights on main beam, to make other road users more aware of them. I always thought that it was more annoying. Looks like the Chinese police agree with me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...se-police.html

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
chromedome195

Well, their punishment seems a bit barbaric.
Wouldn't fines and threats of losing license be enough?

Don't that punishment would ever happen in the USA.
Law suits and damages galore.

For the record, regular low headlight beam is how I normally ride....not using what we call here high beams.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
raul10141964

I agree with the chines on the punishment and I will extended to people who tailgate with the hi beams on

Last edited by raul10141964; 08-06-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
gz4me +

Razz

When I was 17yrs. old, I had a 1957 Ford with dual spotlights. If a car approched with brights on, first I would flash mine, if they did not respond, I would turn on spotlights. That worked well for me until I did it to a California Highway Patrol. He made the fastest u-turn I have ever seen and had me spread across the hood of my car. I do miss those spotlights.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

That is one way to get the point across to inconsiderate drivers. A little hard on the eyes and likely could cause damage eventually. But that is China and an entirely different world than most of us know.

As a safety device on the GZ the Hi-beam should be on during the day to promote it's presence on the road. At night just follow the rules of courtesy and be nice. Wear reflective riding gear...........it works well day and night for better visibility. A yellow or orange vest is cheap life insurance.
On the subject of spot lights on cars. Great if used with discretion. In the 60's I had an aircraft landing light on a couple cars. Brightest thing around before Halogen lights became popular. Picked up the idea from long haul truckers.

Tailgaters at night can be a pain in the retinas too. The Vstrom had reflective tape on the hard bags that worked well. No one followed me close with bright lights.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
alantf

Sorry, but I still hate main beam during the day - even on bikes. It actually makes me take my eyes off the bike, because it hurts my eyes. That IMHO makes it even more dangerous, not safer. And, if I can't see a dipped beam I shouldn't be driving, because I'd be a danger to myself.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #7
mole2

Back when I had my Toyota Pickup I had mounted two beams on the back of the cab to light up what was behind me when backing up in the dark. But I aimed them so that if you were within 5 feet of my back bumper they were going to blind you. I pissed off a lot of tailgaters that way. lol
Old 08-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2 View Post
Back when I had my Toyota Pickup I had mounted two beams on the back of the cab to light up what was behind me when backing up in the dark. But I aimed them so that if you were within 5 feet of my back bumper they were going to blind you. I pissed off a lot of tailgaters that way. lol
Nobody should be within 5 feet of your tail end moving or stopped in traffic.

Both my Vstrom and Lynda's two bikes had high beam modulating headlights for day time riding. Legal throughout North America on motorcycles. They won't blind anyone but are certainly attention getting. We had to educate a lot of LEO's across Canada. They didn't get the memo about the differences of flashing lights and modulating lights.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:04 PM   #9
gz4me +

Thumbs Down

I always wanted to install a hydraulic bumper on the back of my truck for tailgaters. I had two rams and controls off a forklift to make it. My wife found out what I was about to do and put her foot down.(END OF PROJECT!!!!!). I opted for a custom bumper sticker advising tailgaters I had hydraulic bumper which extended out 5 feet. That worked for most who got past my comfort zone. I did install toggle switch that turned off my brake lights. Wait for them to make me feel as if I was towing them, hit toggle switch, hit brakes, then gas pedal. That worked great for several years until wife found out.(Big Mouth next door). Toggle switch removed!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:24 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz4me + View Post
I always wanted to install a hydraulic bumper on the back of my truck for tailgaters. I had two rams and controls off a forklift to make it. My wife found out what I was about to do and put her foot down.(END OF PROJECT!!!!!). I opted for a custom bumper sticker advising tailgaters I had hydraulic bumper which extended out 5 feet. That worked for most who got past my comfort zone. I did install toggle switch that turned off my brake lights. Wait for them to make me feel as if I was towing them, hit toggle switch, hit brakes, then gas pedal. That worked great for several years until wife found out.(Big Mouth next door). Toggle switch removed!!!
Good grief, that could have had some serious consequences. You might have brake checked an off duty cop in his own car. Been arrested or had your car impounded to trace the wiring. Ever met a guy with serious road rage and a gun?? The opportunities for mayhem are unlimited.