Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 08-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #41
mrlmd1

Re: getting new bike, 3 to decide on. hmmmmm

My S50 is shaft drive, handles just as nimbly as the GZ, very quick, weighs less than the Vulcan or VLX. 805cc, and did I mention, quick ?
From reading and IMHO, shaft drive is extremely reliable. little maintenance required, is quiet, and doesn't affect performance, mileage, ride, or anything that can be noticed by any of us, and I doubt by anybody else. If you find a bike you like for whatever other reason, and it has shaft drive, that goes into the plus column.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #42
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
My S50 is shaft drive, handles just as nimbly as the GZ, very quick, weighs less than the Vulcan or VLX. 805cc, and did I mention, quick ?
From reading and IMHO, shaft drive is extremely reliable. little maintenance required, is quiet, and doesn't affect performance, mileage, ride, or anything that can be noticed by any of us, and I doubt by anybody else. If you find a bike you like for whatever other reason, and it has shaft drive, that goes into the plus column.

The M-50 forum has a bit of a warning about the drive shaft. I am sure it is the same shaft and probably has the same built in oops at the factory. Seems Suzuki forgot to lube the shaft parts. There has been some failures due to lack of lubrication. The higher the milage the greater the risk of failure. Lynda's "M" will get a going over next spring so she doesn't get an expensive repair that could be avoided with a little grease where it counts. Here's hoping enough riders scream about it and Suzuki does a recall. It isn't a real difficult home job but I don't really have a great place to work on the bike. Maybe my local Yammer dealer needs a change of brands to play with.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #43
mrlmd1

I'll look for that but I haven't heard of it anywhere else. On another forum I sometimes visit, one member has had 2 S50's and has over 200,000 miles between the 2 of them ( one got wrecked at 135.000 miles, the other has over 75,000 miles now) and has had no problems with the shaft drive.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #44
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
And yes easy, it IS my opinion. I offer it ..... take it or leave it, but dont give me shit every time i offer it. It may not apply to everyone, but to some it will. So whats the problem??
It is not what you say but HOW you say it. We've been over this before and, it seems, that you just don't get the difference between expressing an opinion and, instead stating your "opinion" as though it was a fact.
i think im gonna halve to stick up for dupo on this one. easy you seeem like a cool and helpful guy when i read dupos post i dont feel like he was being pushy or any thing else, the way i see it the guy is just the guy is just saying it the way he sees it. and he feels a person might out grow the 600cc way faster than a 750cc. it really gave me alot to think about. and if i remember correctly it said food for thought in that first post. thats exactly what it was.

The gz sold today, its still in my garage but i got the money for it. i sold it to my good friend, after he goes out and gets some kind of wheel lock or what ever im gonna ride it over to his house. some one cut the chain off his 125cc scooter and drove away on it or drove away with it. pretty lousy, he did get the insurance money so thats cool. I hope he dosent kill him self learning to use the clutch, he has never even drove a stick shift car. if he survives it will be cool to have a buddy to go cruz around town with. any one know a good site that explains how to shift a motorcycle. something like how to shift for dummies :lol:

i think what is confusing to him is that first gear is one down and the rest of the gears are one up and nuteral is kind of in the middle there.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #45
Water Warrior 2

Danny, send your good friend to a riding course. He will be taught properly by professionals. This will get him on the right path to safe riding.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:58 AM   #46
VTXorcist

Send a message via Yahoo to VTXorcist

Seconded. He doesn't want to have his first mistake be in the middle of a busy intersection.

EDIT: Congrats on the sale of the GZ, though! Especially to a friend who's close by. Now you can borrow it and pretend you're still part of the "cool" crowd with us.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:03 PM   #47
dannylightning

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=63877353

well i got a bike.. nothing any where near close to what i wanted. but i fell in love 3 thousand for the bike. 6k miles on it. suzuki intruder volutia.. reminds me of a old indain...
Old 08-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #48
Water Warrior 2

Danny, that is a sweet looking ride. Just barely broke in for you. My opinion only but you got a virtually new bike for a used price. There are a fair amount of aftermarket pieces available when the time is right. Just curious but do you have a service record ??
Old 08-31-2009, 04:58 PM   #49
alanmcorcoran

You liking the power?
Old 08-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #50
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
You liking the power?
The roll on power of a 805 cc V-twin is sweet. Lynda loves finding long hills to climb and accelerating all the way up. No more planning a way to tackle that hill, just twist and go.