Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 05-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
New GZ250

Safety Review Every Day

Knowing how unsafe motorcycles can be and wanting to be overly carious I was keeping my safety riding books/materials on the coffee table so I could read/review them on a regular basis. (Refresh myself and learn) I came up with the idea to write down the things I should be aware of and put them in a plastic sleeve. Like a pilot prior to take off I read the starting procedure, road hazards, safe riding tips and shut down procedure. I have them next to my bike in the garage and review them prior to each ride. Just thought I would share what I was doing to have a safer ride :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
alantf

Re: Safety Review Every Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by New GZ250
the starting procedure, road hazards, safe riding tips . I have them next to my bike in the garage and review them prior to each ride.
Hopefully, these'll become second nature to you in time, & you'll do the right/safe things without even having to think about them. I can appreciate that as a new rider you've got a pretty steep learning curve, as you're on your own each time you ride.

Anything to help, & make you feel safer can only be a good thing, but think how confident you'll feel when you do it automatically. :chop:
Old 05-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by New GZ250
I have them next to my bike in the garage and review them prior to each ride. Just thought I would share what I was doing to have a safer ride :2tup:
Some of the "young punks" out there will probably skoff at that idea but those of us who have seen "many moons" should understand it perfectly.

I sometimes go back past my house to be sure I have closed the garage door !! :roll:

Old 05-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
dannylightning

if you keep a look out and pay attention to every thing (and i do mean every thing)
get ready to react if you see a potential hazard
don't slam on the front breaks too hard and fly over bars
and don't get your finger or any thing else stuck in the chain lol..

those are my safety tips..

i think paying attention and getting a good feel for the bike before you go in a lot of traffic are the 2 most important things. never take your eyes off the road and constantly scan the road and what is happening up ahead of and look out for any thing that may be a potential hazard and when you see one start to react as soon as you see it.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

My preflight check everytime includes checking all lights, signals, brakes, brake lights and horn. Tire pressure every couple weeks without fail. Checking oil every other ride and chain for lube and adjustment is a good habit to be in also. Clean your glasses and face shield if you have them. Same goes for a windshield.