Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 05-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
benmb

Newbie questions

So first time post. Bought a 2002 Gz250, 22k mi, runs solid, currently "bobbing" it (really like some of the bobbers I've seen on here). Taking the bike as minimal as possible..

First a couple questions:
1. Right side exhaust header is not clamped down (flange bolts broke off) - planning on fixing shortly - is this very damaging to the bike, or can I wait a month or 2? And I will fix this before I begin the next question..

2. I dislike the airbox, and intend to remove, and am reading all I can about jetting/pods/etc. etc. Jaime, Jonathon, Goose, and others thank you for your previous threads on these topics..

have seen some ppl use the OEM air filter attached directly to the air intake hose for the carb, as a "pod filter" of sorts. Please describe how well that is working.

Also, anyone using pods, please share your final carburetor setup.. (yes I know, I am resurrecting an old topic..but I was hoping to get all the latest experiences in one spot)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
Cathy

Welcome <3
Old 05-25-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
chromedome195

Welcome!
Enjoy your stay.....
visit often and post often!

Old 05-28-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
tnastvogel

1. Definitely fix that exhaust flange as soon as you can. Since the two pipes are connected underneath the bike, the other one's probably holding it on to the manifold to a certain degree and it's never good to stress any part more than what it's designed for. Also, you're probably getting an incomplete seal at the manifold which is not good.

2. Yeah, screw the stock air box. I recently swapped mine for a pod style filter. I ordered a jet kit off of ebay from 6sigma racing. They sent me a 127.5 main jet, a 130 main jet, a larger pilot jet, needle shims, a drill bit for removing the pilot screw plug and a smaller drill bit for drilling a hole in the vacuum slide. I installed the larger pilot jet, the 127.5 main jet and two needle shims. I am planning on installing another needle shim because midrange still feels lean when it's cold. Depending on your model carburetor the needle may or may not be adjustable. Mine is not.

Their kits also come with a detailed instruction book, so don't feel intimidated at all about jetting your carb.

One thing I would definitely recommend buying is a narrow flathead screwdriver bit to adjust the mixture after you're done messing around with the jets.

Also get a piece of foam filter material or an aftermarket crankcase breather filter for the breather tube coming off the crankcase.

Have fun
Old 05-29-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
gz4me +

Nod Newbie questions

Welcome to the forum. Always like to see more joining the forum. Lots of good information here. Hope to see more posts from you soon.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
benmb

thx guys

Tnast, happy with pod setup? Running good?
Old 06-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #7
tnastvogel

Yeah, it runs well with the new setup. I'm tempted to say it runs better, but that might just be the money I spent to set it up talking.

Two things for sure: it runs cooler after the re jet and it definitely sounds faster.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
benmb

What pod are you running (emgo, k&n, other) also what throat size fits - 52? 54?

Thanks guys ( and gal)
Ben