Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 02-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
Dixon Webb

Starter Switch Troubleshooting

Thanks Dupo. Address works fine. Have question. 2006 gz250 start switch doesn't work. I disassembled. Wiring and contacts look okay. What should I look for next? Just got bike. Manual hasn't arrived yet. Put on trickle charger. Battery charged fine. Lights and horn etc. work like they should. Puzzled.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-06-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
1st, go to the "General" part of the forum and look at the sticky thread and download the manuals i have put up. The troubleshooting guide in there should point you in the right direction. (maybe a fuse?)

Just a really dumb question, did you accidentally flip the kill switch on the other side and not flip it back to 'run'. I've done that several times.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 02-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
Dixon Webb

Dupo. Many thanks. I downloaded the manual and found my trouble. Trying to start with kickstand down. Geez, how dumb can I get. Anyhow, the manual is terrific and will see a lot of use. Stay cool.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:12 AM   #4
Dupo

LOL. I forgot about the kickstand. I have also done that a few times too. Oh, just too funny. I remember my reaction too, could have kicked myself hahaha.

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 02-09-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
davidc83

Hmmm, I can start my 2006 suzuki gz250 with the kickstand down. Matter of fact, with all this cold, I am going out 1 or 2 times a week, just turning on the choke, turning on the key, depress the clutch, and start it. Not even touching the kickstand. And thinking about it, when I purchased it at the dealer, when they test started it, they left the kickstand down also.

Should I be worried?

Old 02-09-2007, 07:42 AM   #6
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Webb
Geez, how dumb can I get.

If that's the only oversight you have made then you haven't dropped from the genius category yet. Most of us have done the same. Some of us more than once :blush: . Sorry that you had to go through so much trouble but I'm glad it was something simple and you are back on the rode.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
Dupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc83
Hmmm, I can start my 2006 suzuki gz250 with the kickstand down. Matter of fact, with all this cold, I am going out 1 or 2 times a week, just turning on the choke, turning on the key, depress the clutch, and start it. Not even touching the kickstand. And thinking about it, when I purchased it at the dealer, when they test started it, they left the kickstand down also.

Should I be worried?
Are you doing this in neutral or in gear? It will start in N with the kickstand down, just not while in gear and kickstand down.

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 02-09-2007, 10:54 AM   #8
Gadzooks Mike

Mine won't start with the stand down, even in neutral. In fact, I can shut it off, just by putting down the stand.

I've thought about disconnecting that little feature, since there are times that I'd like to put the stand down and leave the bike running, but haven't done so yet. I believe I'll wait for the warrenty period to expire.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
Dupo

Well, thats weird because i used to N my bike and take vid of it idling. It would die if you had it in gear and dropped the stand, but not in N. My Shadow is the same way. I put it in N and drop the stand so i can open my back gate to bring it up on my porch ... while it idles.

Both also start while in N and stand down.

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 02-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
davidc83

Mine will not start unless it is in neutral. I havent tried putting the kick stand down while it is still running. Next time I start it I will check out that feature.