Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 08-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
DR Roberts

First time chain maintenance

Got some questions about proper chain maintenance for all you learned GZ owners out there... I have a 2000 GZ250 and I want to clean and lube the chain. Been doin some research (including on this forum) and I'm still not sure how to tell what kind of chain my bike has. I am the second owner of this bike (it only has 2800 miles) and I am certain this is the original chain. So, is this O-ring or standard type? I have read that the kind of lube you use matters depending on the type. I have read people recommend cleaning with kero or disel fuel which I do not wish to do so I bought some specific degreaser meant for moto chains. I have seen recommendations for lubing with motor oil... I also see there are a ton of products out there touting all kinds of superior qualities. Any you like? Any warnings? Thanks in advance!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Roberts View Post
Got some questions about proper chain maintenance for all you learned GZ owners out there... I have a 2000 GZ250 and I want to clean and lube the chain. Been doin some research (including on this forum) and I'm still not sure how to tell what kind of chain my bike has. I am the second owner of this bike (it only has 2800 miles) and I am certain this is the original chain. So, is this O-ring or standard type? I have read that the kind of lube you use matters depending on the type. I have read people recommend cleaning with kero or disel fuel which I do not wish to do so I bought some specific degreaser meant for moto chains. I have seen recommendations for lubing with motor oil... I also see there are a ton of products out there touting all kinds of superior qualities. Any you like? Any warnings? Thanks in advance!
I like a good quality chain wax as it penetrates than drys & doesn't collect dirt like oil will....Also 0-ring safe.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:03 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

DuPont makes a good chain lube. Find it at your local big box hardware store.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #4
5th_bike

Do not use the degreaser, which may damage the O-rings. Use kerosene as it says in the manual.