Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
alazar14

Road trip San Diego CA to Albuquerque NM

Hey guys its been a while.

Just wanted to get some tips on what you guys would carry for a road trip from San Diego CA to Albuquerque New Mexico.

I plan this trip to take up a total of 7-8 days.

My goals for the trip are

#1 Check out Arizona State University and its Ph.D in communication's program. (I am currently a Communication Undergrad at San Diego State)

#2 Check out The University of New Mexico and their communication M.A and Ph.D programs.

I plan to take the road trip in the end of May next year.

I plan to go on my Virago 250 Motorcycle

I know the basics I need to take care of...brakes check, oil change, chain checks, spark plugs, clutch check, basically a general check out of every component on the bike

before I head out. I am however wondering what else would you guys suggest I take.

I am planning to take 2 saddlebags one with 2 changes of clothes and basic needs things like water, toothpaste, toothbrush, toilet paper and so on. The second bag with

my bike's tool kit, and just in case some rain gear. (And Sun screen...) (Also I probably need to carry a backup gas container because the Viragos 1.8gallon and 0.7 reserve

just won't cut the long desert roads.

I also plan to carry a small tank bag with some basics such as water bottles, and some canned food to stop and eat lunch on the way across the deserts.

The rout I would be taking is this San Diego-Yuma ( 8 East until I reach the 10 north near Phoenix) (Stop for the night) (Wake up early next morning around 4am, head

out around 5am and try to reach Phoenix before mid day) (10 North from 8 East to Phoenix) Spend the day In Phoenix and wake up next day to check out Arizona State,

talk to the professors there especially the communication department).

Spend the Night in Phoenix Wake up the next morning and leave for New Mexico around 5am (Take

87 North Merge to the 40 East and stop at Gallup for the night. (Wake up next morning around 5am, head to Albuquerque, should get there around 7am and go right to the

University.

(Check out the Albuquerque Night life a bit, maybe some of the attractions of the city and spend the night there), Wake up around 6-7am and head out for Phoenix) (Should

reach phoenix around 4:30pm spend the night there.

Next morning wake up at 6am, and head to San Diego should be home by 3-5pm.

Questions

Mostly I am worried about my ass. Quite literally, that will be a hell of an uncomfortable ride...I am considering replacing the stock virago 250 seat with something a bit more

comfortable for long rides if I can find it. Any suggestions on this ?

Can a 250cc motorcycle handle a trip like this if its paced and not rushed.

I believe there is very little traffic once you Exit Southern CA, When I went to Yuma last year all I ever saw was a hand full of cars and trucks on the way there. Traffic is

really slow or should be all the way from Alpine CA to Phoenix, where it picks up.

I plan to do about 60mph the majority of this ride. Just push it to the 70s until I'm out of the San Diego Area. My bike can Easily go 70 mph for a good 30-45min without any

issues, thats about how long it will take me to get out of the city areas.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads