Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 05-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
northsidegz

Hey folks. Just joined the forum. Had been lurking for several months while struggling to properly answer "what state has the greatest land area" when attempting to register. I just assumed it was some type of “brag about the quality of motorcycle riding in your state” section, so I continued to enter Minnesota. Afterall, we have lots of great land to ride in Minnesota! O_o Finally I sent an e-mail and John squared me away that it was an actual, true question about which state has the most land area, so I had to give the correct answer if I wanted to join. LOL.

Bought a 2000 GZ last August after passing the exam. At 37 and with 4 kids I finally decided I wasn't getting any younger or saner, so it was time to start riding a motorcycle like I had been wanting to do for a while. Have been enjoying every moment I get on the bike. It's my daily commuter at about 18 miles each way. Rush hour is a pain, but it's giving me a repeated lesson on proper clutch and throttle control. So I guess it has it's benefits!

Will get picks up at some point.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
alantf

Re: Newbie

Alaska? :??:
Old 05-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Rookie Rider

Welcome to the forum from NYC

Old 05-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
northsidegz

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Alaska? :??:
Yes. And with that I was allowed in..... :2tup:
Old 05-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Welcome Northside. Yes, Alaska is indeed quite large and very beautiful. Drove there when I was younger but wouldn't want to ride there now at my age. If you ever get the chance for a trip to Alaska it is a trip of a lifetime. The Alaska highway has been completely paved since the year 2000 so you can really ride or drive anything your heart desires. Bikes just need a little more of a preplanned routine and whatnot.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Rionna

Welcome to the forum from Ohio! Ride safe!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
greatmaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsidegz
Hey folks. Just joined the forum. Had been lurking for several months while struggling to properly answer "what state has the greatest land area" when attempting to register. I just assumed it was some type of “brag about the quality of motorcycle riding in your state” section, so I continued to enter Minnesota.
That is the funniest thing I've read in quite a while Sorry you had such a hard time entering the site. That must be a new feature because I don't remember it, but we were getting a lot of spam bots for a while, so it makes sense.

I'm 40-(something) with kids also, so I understand where you're coming from. Stop and go is a b****! Very hard on the hands.

I hope you've taken or will take the MSF basic rider's course, it can greatly increase your chances of avoiding an accident. Well worthwhile for everyone, especially those with young kids!

(edited to add) oh, and yes, I can read after all. I do see that you've already taken the course. yay! for you and for my paying attention finally.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 AM   #8
mole2

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina. Ride safe.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
northsidegz

Thanks for the welcome folks!

Have been getting better at the stop and go. Last season I continued to shift down to 1st then back up to 5th, then back to 1st, then up to 4th or 5th, etc.... I was thinking to myself, "This is crazy! No wonder most motorcyclists are weekend/event riders."

Finally learned how I can go between 5 to 10 mph in 3rd and that has done wonders in helping me keep balance, maintain a slow speed and flow with traffic better. Took about 500 miles worth of riding to get there. Slowly, but surely.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
greatmaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsidegz
Finally learned how I can go between 5 to 10 mph in 3rd and that has done wonders in helping me keep balance, maintain a slow speed and flow with traffic better. Took about 500 miles worth of riding to get there. Slowly, but surely.
Hm I might have to try that! I've only been riding for 9 months or so, but hit real stop and go traffic only once or twice. I didn't get the hang of it at all, but your tip might help. Thanks!