Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 03-01-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
Water Warrior 2

Olympics

So they are almost over now. No not really folks. March 12--21 is the ParaOlympics at the same locations. Still gonna have convoys of stinking buses and traffic control thought up by a demented troll on crack. And the helicopters overhead never quit either. After that they can start tearing down the barriers and traffic cones, change the signage back to normal and get the hell outta my way. I figure riding in the middle of April if they get right on it. Should be nice and warm by then too.
Can anyone tell I am not a sports fan ? Well, maybe a little bit of one but not when it comes to disrupting my entire life for weeks on end.
Thankfully the games won't be coming back any time soon. Shoulda taken my own advice and left town for a few weeks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-01-2010, 01:43 AM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Olympics

Well, congrats on the hockey win. I'm not much of a hockey fan, but I have to admit, it was pretty darn good hockey and a very entertaining game. I am glad the Canucks came back and did so well overall. This will spare us some of the never ending bleating of "USA, USA." The success on the podium will also keep American media from trying to make something symbolic out of the juge accident.

I guess the Americans acquitted themselves pretty well too, what with the record medal count. I can recall just a few years ago, if we medalled in the high single digits it was considered a success. I don't really follow many of these sports (bobsled? luge? skeleton? curling? really?) but I did enjoy watching that Norwegian dude rally from half a mile back to nip the silver just outside the stadium of the cross country finish. And there's a bunch of nonsense (figure skating, ice dancing) that stretches the concept of a sport, but I guess it's popular.

I think a lot of our "stars" are hard to really relate to - possibly because they are under such pressure to medal in something they typically only get one, or maybe two shots at. They always seem to come off a little prima donna-ish and occasionally, downright whiny. I did appreciate the Flying Tomato going for his Triple McTwist even though he had already won the gold medal.

I guess I just have a tough time getting into the whole concept of "WE won" or that having the resources to train world class athletes makes a country somehow superior to another. I suppose it is considered some sort of proxy for "can-do" but, honestly, I rather be known as the country with the most competent politicians, or highest standard of living, or cleanest air, or most stable banking system, etc. rather than the country with the fastest skiers.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:12 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I rather be known as the country with the most competent politicians, or highest standard of living, or cleanest air, or most stable banking system, etc. rather than the country with the fastest skiers.
Competent politicians would give us all of the above. Of course that will never happen until we all agree to do the right things without expecting a profit.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
dhgeyer

Or did you mean profit? Either will work under certain circumstances.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Or did you mean profit? Either will work under certain circumstances.
OOPS, but I was close. Fixed it. Nice catch.