Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 01-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Pines to Palms

Not sure if anyone of you So Cal Geezers are interested, but I'm contemplating a longish, "touring" tryout trip this Saturday that will be basically route 74 from Ortega Highway to Palm Desert. Will probably get going early-ish. Supposed to be a high of 60 in Idylwild, so I'm hoping it'll be warm enough to get through the San Berdoo Forest part without hypothermia.

By the same token, if anybody thinks this is a bad idea this time of year, please set me straight. My plans are pretty flexible, but i do want to get in a longish ride as long as it is not raining or excessively windy.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-28-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Pines to Palms

Alan, pack some long underwear and a rain suit. The rain suit will cut a lot of wind/cold and L J's will provide insulation.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

WW that brings up a question I been meaning to ask... If my motorhead jacket is waterproof (it's leather but i think it claims to be water proof) AND my TourMaster Caliber pants are waterproof AND my AlpineStar boots are waterproof... Do I need a rain suit?

I have only ridden in actual rain twice (and severe WET fog, once) but neither was a downpour and neither was for very long (and I didn't get wet.)

Not against a rain suit in anyway, just don't want to carry redundant gear...

Old 01-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Not sure if anyone of you So Cal Geezers are interested, but I'm contemplating a longish, "touring" tryout trip this Saturday that will be basically route 74 from Ortega Highway to Palm Desert. Will probably get going early-ish. Supposed to be a high of 60 in Idylwild, so I'm hoping it'll be warm enough to get through the San Berdoo Forest part without hypothermia.

By the same token, if anybody thinks this is a bad idea this time of year, please set me straight. My plans are pretty flexible, but i do want to get in a longish ride as long as it is not raining or excessively windy.
If the people coming to look at my GZ cancel, I'm interested.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
WW that brings up a question I been meaning to ask... If my motorhead jacket is waterproof (it's leather but i think it claims to be water proof) AND my TourMaster Caliber pants are waterproof AND my AlpineStar boots are waterproof... Do I need a rain suit?

I have only ridden in actual rain twice (and severe WET fog, once) but neither was a downpour and neither was for very long (and I didn't get wet.)

Not against a rain suit in anyway, just don't want to carry redundant gear...
If you can be sure of the jacket and it's water proof abilities then just pack L J's as a safety and comfort measure. Do you have decent gloves for the pinkies ?

Old 01-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

I wore holes in the index fingers of the gloves I have that give the best warmth and wind protection. I actually have four pairs of gloves (one has NO fingers... WTF!!??)

It seems gloves are a popular gift item with women shopping for men that they know ride motorcycles. I think I probably need just two pair - a winter and a summer. Any recommend a winter pair that are warm, lightweight and indestructible? Don't mind paying a lot if they will last a few years.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:03 AM   #7
BusyWeb

Quote:

Hi, Mr. Alan.
I have a plan take this route at this weekend (saturday or sunday).
The Palomar Mountain Loop
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/W ... CA_6.shtml

Your route seems this one.
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/W ... A_12.shtml
EDITED: sorry, this isn't your planned route ????
confusing with Palm Desert vs. Palm Springs, am I confused??? or ??? anyway...

IMHO, just be prepared for the cold air if you go up to high altitude.
Forecast says that weekend temperature is going up to 80 around Los Angeles, and sunny.
Just in case, get some extra layered clothing for the cold temperature at the top of the mountain.
I found that rain gear is really good choice for the protecting cold wind/air.
It protects water/rain and also protect WINDS amaizingly well.
Hoping that you have a good day for the riding......
Old 01-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
alanmcorcoran

Busy,

I've looked at the Palomar one and read the description a few times.

From my bicycle riding days, "technical", when describing mountain bike rides = "you will have at least several good opportunities to kill yourself.... have fun!" I realize for experienced motorcyclists, this is the whole point, but I want to get a few more miles under my belt with the Strat before I tackle "the most technical" road in Southern California. I'd feel a little more confident on the GZ, but I don't find the throttle flogging you have to do to the Suzi to keep up on the mountain roads much much fun.

Have fun and let us know how it goes. Watch out for those reverse camber decreasing radius holy shitters.

The link to "my" route is accurate for the last half. The first half goes down Ortega through Elsinore to Hemet. It's not as high, but a good ride as well.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
I wore holes in the index fingers of the gloves I have that give the best warmth and wind protection. I actually have four pairs of gloves (one has NO fingers... WTF!!??)

It seems gloves are a popular gift item with women shopping for men that they know ride motorcycles. I think I probably need just two pair - a winter and a summer. Any recommend a winter pair that are warm, lightweight and indestructible? Don't mind paying a lot if they will last a few years.
Alan, check webBikeWorld.com They did a glove comparison and Fieldsheer Aqua Sport gloves might be a good glove for you in your neck of the woods. Don't let the name fool you until you read the article. 9 gloves were compared with various results and good/bad opinions of all 9.