Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 01-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #21
Vegas Street Rider

So today is the big day. I bet you can hardly sit still. Hope you enjoy every minute of it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-27-2016, 07:12 PM   #22
Water Warrior 2

You betcha. I'm too tired to fill in the details right now. But soon.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:43 PM   #23
Vegas Street Rider

Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:15 AM   #24
Water Warrior 2

Okay, I've had a very long extended nap and a bite to eat. What a day I have had. Woke up far too early after a night of nightmarish sleep, put on the coffee and a light breakfast. I am blessed with the good fortune of not remembering nightmares for long in most cases.

The Ranger was waiting for the trip to Vancouver to pick up the bike and carry it home. Tiedown straps, Check. Riding gear, Check. A pocket full of cash, Check. Odds and ends on my list, Check. Bob is awake, Check.

Stopped at the Golden Arches for a road coffee. Five minutes later an overhead highway sign declares an accident and left lane may be closed. No biggy. Well, not for me except for the delay. But it was a biggy for some one else. Drivers in small cars do not fare well when being collected by a logging truck. The drivers compartment, left side only was the only real piece of car left. Hopefully there was no front seat passenger as it was virtually non-existant.

Carried on in a light rain to the city. My bike is ready to go after signing the papers and doing the cash handoff. A big gentle giant comes outside and easily loads my bike and ties it down nicely and professionally. Only a few drops of rain so the day is looking good.

The closer to home the heavier the rain and bit of fog or low clouds. A gigantic rain cloud settled in over the town and things are not looking too good. I know I'm going to get real wet on the short ride home after the bike is unloaded at the local shop. Not a good omen. went straight home, put on all my gear, stuggled into my rain gear and then to the DOT for a plate and insurance. Done. Now off to the shop.

Backed in out of the rain, bike off loaded and I'm headed home in a driving rain on new tires on a strange new bike. Learned a few things right off, the foot controls really need adjusting for my size 12's. Forward controls are really strange for the uninitiated. All in all, a very tense ride in very poor riding conditions but I did get home without mishap. My back locked up like a wooden beam and started to hurt.

Here comes the freaky part. I had intended to ride the old 83 Silver Wing back to the shop. One minor repair needed. Finally got it started on one cylinder and hoped it would stay running. Why did I ever buy it 2 years ago. It is a big top heavy pig that is really scary to an older not so strong me. Had a few highly tense moments but no oops so I'm more than happy.
Got to the shop, parked it inside and left in the Ranger. Straight home in all my riding gear except helmet. Somewhat wet, uncomfortable and aching all over. Hence, my extended nap.

All in all, an exciting event filled day that ended well. Now I'm going back to bed. Night all.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #25
Vegas Street Rider

Glad you made it home safely. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It reminds me of a trip back from Tofino through Hope and down into Idaho. It poured cats and dogs for two days solid and when I got into northern Idaho, I hit snow. Did I mention this was on July 3rd and 4th? Not ideal riding weather.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #26
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
Glad you made it home safely. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It reminds me of a trip back from Tofino through Hope and down into Idaho. It poured cats and dogs for two days solid and when I got into northern Idaho, I hit snow. Did I mention this was on July 3rd and 4th? Not ideal riding weather.
OMG, that would be a gruesome ride. As much as we don't want bad weather for our trips it can and will happen. Such events are to be savored because they make us who we are in real life. We will never gain experience and wisdom at home in a rocking chair. After I retired I bought my own idea of a rocking chair. It had 2 wheels and it was blue. My Vstrom made me younger again after years of aging. Returning to riding was the best medicine money could buy.
Lynda bought her GZ at age 60. She had never ridden before and wanted to give it a shot. Her smiles and enthusiasm made her years younger too.
We made a lot of new friends on our travels and that made riding even more of a pleasure. We never met a rider we didn't like.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #27
Vegas Street Rider

I know what you mean. This is my 52nd year on a motorcycle of some sort. Started out on a 50cc Tohatsu, graduated to a Triumph 650, then a Greeves 500. Bought a BMW in Germany and promptly totaled it on a mountain road, and for the time being, I have my little GZ commuter bike.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:38 PM   #28
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
I know what you mean. This is my 52nd year on a motorcycle of some sort. Started out on a 50cc Tohatsu, graduated to a Triumph 650, then a Greeves 500. Bought a BMW in Germany and promptly totaled it on a mountain road, and for the time being, I have my little GZ commuter bike.
My only crashes were with off road bikes and crashing comes with the territory. I became very adept as crashing in slow motion. Not near as harmful. That said, I've had some near miss adventures onroad due to lack of smarts on my part. Proper training at a good rider traning school helped a lot. Training and reading Proficient Motorcycling filled in many of the blanks.
Lynda became an amazing rider. Bought her GZ at 60 and trained on a Honda Rebel 250(wishing it was her GZ). She was safe, observant as all get out and a treat to ride with. No mishaps or get-offs ever. Watching her on the twisty roads with her GZ and later the Suzuki M-50 was like watching poetry in motion. The bikes were like they were on rails. I think she was a natural rider but never had the chance earlier in life. She conquered every road surface under the bike and endured all sorts of weather. After 5 years she hung up her helmet and said "I'm done riding". The M-50 was eventually sold and the proceeds went towards her new 2012 Corolla. An end to an era but she put the car to good use with travelling and goofing around. Camera in hand she was unstopable.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:38 PM   #29
Water Warrior 2

So I get to ride the big old honda from the shop. First things first I will insure it for 3 months rather than just a day. Might as well give it some exercise and a tank of new gas with Seafoam in it. Hopefully it will start running on two cylinders with a cleaner fuel system. Might get a touch wet and cool but not near what I experienced the other day when I almost drowned.

Although the old bike may be mechanically solid it isn't exactly pristine looking after so many years. If it doesn't sell on CL I just may have to leave it somewhere with the key in it and hope it disappears never to be found. Yeah, I could do that. Sounds a little crazy but I have no interest in it at all. Chalk up the overall cost to experience and be done with it.

Really getting itchy to ride the new bike. After the foot controls are adjusted I will install the new Madstad windshield. It was delivered yesterday. It has laser cut brackets that mount on the handlebar clamps. A real neat design. It is 22 inches high overall and about 18 inches wide. The brackets allow for height and tilt. Just loosen 2 knobs and adjust to preference. Snug up the knobs and enjoy. Had the same basic thing on my Vstrom and it was great but it was actually using the fairing windshield mounting points instead.

Just had to share a bit. Now back to your regular programming.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:26 PM   #30
Water Warrior 2

Sure is quiet around here lately.

Still haven't been out for a ride on the bike. I'm gonna blame Bush and the weatherman. Rain and more rain.

No windshield installed due to a couple missing parts that were delivered today. Also got a Battery Tender quick coupler for the bike. Still waiting for my LED driving lights too. And(drum roll)there is a Honda centerstand that fits the CTX. Gotta get me one of those. ................Here is the ugly part. Everything I have ordered or will order is in the U.S. or Japan. Paid for in U.S. dollars. Considering the tanked Can. dollar I'm going to be hurting for a short time. I'll just let Master Card do the conversion and wait for their statment.

Also will be getting some Grip Puppies for the handlebars. They are the foam sleeves that fit over the OEM grips to make them larger. Had them before on the Vstrom and liked them a lot. No more clenched grip on the smaller 7/8ths bars.

So that is the latest news in my little wide spot on the road. One road in and one road out. But really great twisties for all to enjoy.

Time to get back to my computer games now. Later.