Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 01-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Goose51683

Steampunk bikes

I was checking out some pty cool steam punk bike projects out there.

Anyone ever seen any geezers turned into steampunk rides?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (30.8 KB, 43 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-24-2014, 11:00 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

OMG, does it really move? Looks like it was built with junkyard rejected parts.
Can't really see it as a practical ride but who knows. The seat looks like a cello with the neck cut off.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #3
grasshopper

looks like something from the movie "MAD MAX"

Old 01-25-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Goose51683

I think you get functioning and non functioning versions. They are all one of a kind bikes.

I do think it looks like its out of Mad Max, I think that's why I love them.

I guess that's what happens when that's the kind of thing your watching during your formative years.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
alantf

Hey....You're talking about my alter ego. My second name is Maxfield, so because of my attitude to life, my workmates called me Madmax.:p:p

Old 01-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Steampunk stuff can be pretty amazing.

I love dystopian novels and storylines - and this whole steampunk movement sort of originates from that. It's building and adapting what you want using only the parts that can scavenge. There's a beauty in the ingenuity, when it's actually a functioning part. I don't much care for the steampunk stuff that doesn't actually work, because then it's little more than pop-art. It takes so much more love and creativity to scavenge and build something that's actually functional. Non-functioning creations make about as much sense as faux pockets on ladies clothing.

That being said, this Steam Punk IronMan is amazing...

Last edited by jonathan180iq; 01-27-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
Goose51683

I'm with you Jon, I love the idea and the challenge behind scavenging everything you need.

I just wish I had the time and a good scrapyard nearby.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I don't know how many of you guys are gearheads outside of just the motorcycle world, but for me, going to a Pull-A-Part is like a kid getting to play in a 200 acre Toys-R-Us. I pull parts and pieces all the time from cars that are extinct or rare or whatever and use them in modern applications.

I have a '98 Chevy Metro that I have scavenged parts from at least 12 different cars to keep the interior modern and for nice hold-down bolts under the hood and stuff..

(I know this isn't exactly Steampunk, but it's somewhere in that same line of reasoning...right?)

You remember the show Junkyard Wars? It was always a dream of mine to be on that show.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
Goose51683

I grew up playing legos, and I feel that what your talking about is about the adult equivalent.

What I love about the steampunk is using drums for gas tanks, old instruments for seats, etc. I love the creativity.

I saw a couple bikes that were actually steam driven which I think is just about the coolest damn thing I could imagine.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I don't know all of the details, but there is a certain level of technology that can't be exceeded...somewhere around what was available in the late 1800s... hahah, but with a sci-fi twist in many of the things I have seen.

I always see this stuff as being the equivalent a steam powered time machine, or something along those lines. The watches are exquisite.

One of the things that I really despise about modern society is the loss of the tactile and machanical movement of things in place of synthetic interaction and miles and miles of silicon just to press a button. There is no more satisfying "click" when you press things anymore, unless of course the tech manufacturer has added in a fake sound along with a vibration to give the illusion of a tactile experience.

I mean, the Gz250 is such a wonderful and simplistic bike because of this very reason. There is nothing earth shatteringly complicated or synthetic about it. Except for the CDI, it's 100% mechanical. If something breaks, you can physically repair it. It doesn't have to be taken to the apple store because the screen cracked or because it lost data. You just rip some sheathing off, shoot some WD-40 on it, wind up the crank, and you're good for another 30,000 miles. All life should be like that. All life should be SteamPunk.

Last edited by jonathan180iq; 01-27-2014 at 02:14 PM.