Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 10-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #11
duosport

Re: Lori and her sister

Well I agree with Sarris. I pretty much was going to not post on this site anymore because there are a lot of opinionated busy bodies here. These two women have jackets on and you do not know if they have full protection on underneath them or not. They have nice full helmets on too. Sure they could be wearing protective pants and boots. So what.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-20-2010, 11:26 PM   #12
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaKev
Ok, I just have to jump in on this one - mainly because I live in Phoenix, Arizona, where the daytime temps get up to 118 degrees (been as hot as 122) in the daytime, and it's so hot you can literally fry an egg on the sidewalk, and I still manage to wear a full face helmet, mesh riding jacket, gloves, boots, and some kind of pants. Now I understand that humidity is a real bitch, but I would really hate for any new rider, especially an unexperienced one, to read some of these posts thinking that zipping out on their bike in shorts and a t-shirt - helmet or not - could EVER be considered proper riding gear, because it cannot.

And as far as the "road rash heals just fine", that may be true in some instances. But I can say from experience that the scars and underlying nerve damage don't always heal up "just fine", and in fact, that is why I wear full protective gear all the time now. My thoughts : if it's just too hot to wear proper protective gear, then it's just too hot to ride your bike. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

AZ Kev

118 degrees when the humidity is what? 10%, it gets 110 here and the humidity will be 80-90%, come out here on one of those days and take an all day ride with me with full protective gear on and I will give you a medal, especially if you sit in traffic a few times and don't pass out. And also I am like Sarris, my motorcycle is my main form of transportation, so I wear as much protective gear as the weather allows. I also ride in the rain occasionally, and in the bitter cold.

So if the weather not allowing me to wear the "proper gear" means I couldn't ride, then I couldn't ride a lot of the year, and quite honestly I wouldn't even own a motorcycle. A lot of people trip out on people that wear shorts on a motorcycle, the difference in protection between a pair of normal blue jeans (which most riders wear) and a pair of shorts when you hit the ground is minimal at best.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:11 AM   #13
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
... A lot of people trip out on people that wear shorts on a motorcycle, the difference in protection between a pair of normal blue jeans (which most riders wear) and a pair of shorts when you hit the ground is minimal at best.
Bingo! If I can't wear shorts then I can't ride between May and September. During that time I have 90 + degree temp with 90% humidity - it's brutal. The helmet alone (which I wear) causes a lot of sweat. I prefer to ride.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:35 AM   #14
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duosport
I pretty much was going to not post on this site anymore because there are a lot of opinionated busy bodies here.
Duo, if there weren't any opinionated busybodies there'd be no posts!

For the record, I am SOTTIWAOTGASOTTID (some of the time I wear all of the gear and some of the time I don't.) I honestly don't understand why people get so worked up about what other people are wearing. Motorcycle riding is dangerous - your safest bet is to watch TV. There is a lot of motorcycle death in SouthernCalifornia. At least one a week - practically all of them were wearing helmets. Sarris was in a major collision and got pretty effed up in it - it's not like he's unaware of the risks. I have ridden in 117 degree heat with all of the gear (was a dry heat!) and I've ridden to play tennis in, well, my tennis stuff. I generally increase the amount of protection based on my non-scientific estimate of my likelihood of hitting the pavement. I do always wear a helmet. Except for that one time in Chicago.

-One more opinionated busybody.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:20 AM   #15
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2

Bingo! If I can't wear shorts then I can't ride between May and September. During that time I have 90 + degree temp with 90% humidity - it's brutal. The helmet alone (which I wear) causes a lot of sweat. I prefer to ride.

:plus1: Exactly the conditions we get over here.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Minimal gear worn by my riding/coffee buds used to really bother me. Althought I try to be safety conscious I keep my mouth shut because it is the amount risk one is willing to accept will riding with little or no gear. And yes I will suggest it on the forum to anyone when their safety is involved but they make the final decision.
I am not 21 and going to live forever anymore. My health has become more of a concern as I get older as is common with most folks. I value my life and health more everyday because I have less left to enjoy everyday.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #17
ArizonaKev

Wow, I am a little surprised at the strong reaction on here to what I see to be fairly good, prudent advice. I will admit that my comments may have been viewed as a little strong by some people. And indeed, that is one of the great things about life, is that we all get to make our own choices. If someone chooses to ride in shorts and a t-shirt, that is their choice. And while I may not agree that it is the best choice, I totally support their freedom to choose, and can respect that they are able to make their own choices.

Now, as far as the comment by music man up there, I know that humidity is horrible, and I won't even argue with you, because I totally agree. In fact, I used to live in Louisville, Kentucky, and actually moved back to Phoenix - in the summertime! - because it was just too damn humid for me. But just fyi - during the monsoon season here, it is not uncommon for the humidity to get up into the 50-60% range, and with the temps around 115, it is pretty darned hot any way you slice it. Combine that with the 'heat island' effect here in Phoenix from all the pavement and blacktop, and yeah....

So I say, to each his own. My concern is mainly that NEW riders, those with little or no riding experience, wear some sort of protection - helmet at the least - until they are more experienced, if only to give themselves a greater chance of surviving to ride another day if they do get in a crash. I work for a healthcare corporation, and I think most healthcare workers would disagree with any statement that implies it is basically not even worth wearing protective gear because it offers only minimal protection. But again - that is just MY belief - nothing more. I know that if one of my kids picks up riding, I would feel much better seeing them head out with gear on than without it. Since this seems to be such a sore spot on this forum however, I will not bring the topic up again - I will simply let my signature express my belief. 'Nuff said.

AZ Kev

PS - oh, and to Sarris up there - since when did people start considering wearing safety gear to be paranoia? I think your comment is a little strong there my friend. And it sounds to me like you wear the most important stuff anyway, right? Helmet, pants, boots...? So I am not quite sure where that statement is coming from. Perhaps having hit the pavement at 40+ miles an hour myself, and having friends and relatives who have done so also, has heightened my awareness of the possibility of severe injury on a motorcycle, and the fact that no matter how good I rider I am, it can happen to anyone.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

A simple example of protection for your joints. Years ago I picked up some EVA foam slip-ons for my elbows, knees and shins while dirt riding. Was in a local sporting goods store so I had an excellent demo for the salesman. I smacked my elbow with a handy putter and felt no pain, just a bump from the impack. Offered to do the same to the salesman's bare elbow. He turned a pretty color of pure white for a moment or two. The EVA foam padding was cheap and effective under jeans and a light jacket while dirt riding. And I fell a lot just for practice of course. Gloves, boots, helmet and goggles too. My riding buddy at the time finally figured it out after falling and getting many bruises and skinned joints.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:53 AM   #19
b1pig

well. this went to hell fast. thanks alot.

i'll stick to tech.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:12 AM   #20
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig
well. this went to hell fast. thanks alot.

i'll stick to tech.
Sorry pig. There's just certain topics that we can't shut up about. And when someone doesn't mention them for a while, they gotta be injected into the thread so we can all weigh in with the same opinions, over and over again.

Got a good laugh at your editorial comment, though...