Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-02-2007, 11:44 PM   #1
BigIron

Getting a Key Made

My bike only came with one key (bought used). So I need to get a key made.
I went to Walmart and the kid in automotive makes me a key. I go out and try it and it dont even go in. So I go back in and he says its the closest blank he had :cuss: and refunds my money.
So I try the local locksmith and he makes me one and it goes in smooth but wont turn. I take it back to him, he throws it in the trash and makes another. Same deal with 2nd key. It appeared that he was grinding it down too far but he said that the machine controls how far he grinds down the key. Locksmith refunds my money.
So now I try a hardware store. This guy makes me a key and I take it home since I have my truck this time. The key goes in and with a lot of wiggling I can get it to turn either way. I'm keeping this one but what am I missing. They cant all be wrong. :??:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-03-2007, 03:16 AM   #2
El_Shorto

I'd suggest trying a suzuki bike dealer. the one near my place makes keys and they work like a charm. if they dont make them at your local dealer, im sure they could refer you to someone who can.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:37 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Re: Getting a Key Made

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron
I'm keeping this one but what am I missing. They cant all be wrong. :??:
It's hard to find good help these days!!

Find a different locksmith. A good one can tell what's wrong with a key by just looking at it in comparison with one that does work. If you do find a competent locksmith, he might be able to "touch up" the one you already have.

:cool:

Old 10-03-2007, 10:29 PM   #4
BigIron

Thanks guys. I thought maybe I was missing something like a chip in the key or something like that. I know theres no chip.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I had the same problem getting a key made for my MG. I had to buy factory blanks from E-bay. With the proper blank, any Joe can make you a working key.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
Stretch

Same issue!

I bought the Susuki blank and had the local Lowe's guy put it in his machine. He cut it four different times, first nothing moved, then it somewhat moved, then one side worked and finally no side worked. I agree with the previous advice, stay away from the big boxes with the computer key boxes. I used to cut keys back in high school in the 1970's, we did it by hand and they worked every time. Now, if the machine doesn't recognize your key exactly, you are just taking a crap shoot. I have another new blank but I am still looking for a good locksmith... and being very, very careful with the original (and very worn) key.
-Bob
P.S., Lowe's did "make it right" with an in-store credit for the cost of my blank and not charging me for the cuts.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
Easy Rider

Re: Same issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch
I have another new blank but I am still looking for a good locksmith... and being very, very careful with the original (and very worn) key.
OK, there IS another option, I think.

I've heard that a dealer, armed with the VIN (and proof of ownership if you didn't buy it from them) can get the key "code" and then make (or order) a new key. Part of your current problem might be that your one remaining key is worn.

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #8
Stretch

True for cars!

Easy I know what you say is true for cars, so I imagine it might also be true for bikes. Dealers will sell you the blanks, but most don't have the cutting equipment to make the keys themselves, they will forward you on to an authorized locksmith. We will see I guess

When you have an old lock and key, (mine is a '99), it is better to try to mirror the old key than to cut one to factory specs. Both the lock and the key will wear over time - the lock may no longer be in factory specs. With old key cutting machines this was easy - you could mirror anything. The new black boxes are safer and you can train a monkey how to use one in a few seconds with a banana or two for motivation, but the artisan is now cut (pardon the pun) out of the equation. It is standard or nothing anymore; fudge factors and eyeball adjustments have disappeared - too bad that was what often make the old stuff work.

Thanks for the suggestion and the chance to grumble!
-Bob
Old 10-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Have heard that some riders have had success going to a Suzuki car dealer for blanks and then a good lock smith for cutting. Might be worth a try.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:46 PM   #10
mcintyre_aerospace

Well I had a similar problem, except I lost my key. I had to take the key cylinder out, theres two special torx bolts that hold it in, and took it all the way to a town called Midland in Texas, 92 miles from where I live, and had them completely take it apart and make me 3 keys. The locksmith only charged about 14 dollers, and the key works fine in the cylinder, but has trouble with the seat release. I still use it, but its kinda annoying.