Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Nightsbane

Without a Tachometer, How can I tell if I am pushing the eng

...ine too hard?

This is my first motorcycle, so I am not totally intuned to the sounds, and I am about to have to start driving to class in a couple weeks on a 55mph highway. When I head out to 45-50 mph it still sounds much louder/higher pitched than usual, and I don't have any clue if and when I would be pushing the motor.

In town I usually shift at

2nd after roll
3rd at 20
4th at 28

and 5th at 35+

It seems to run better at anything over 35 in 5th, is that correct? I am six foot and 200 pounds to gauge height/weight. I just don't want to blow it to pieces this fall. Also any highway driving tips on this bike at those speeds would be appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Viirin

Re: Without a Tachometer, How can I tell if I am pushing the

The engine revs are equivalent to your speed in 5th if you multiply it by 100 (with a 15tooth sprocket)

example: the bike is running at 5000rpm in 5th gear @ 50 mph and 6000rpm at 60mph etc - i put a tachometer on the bike and this is true, unfortunately how many revs are too many revs differs slightly from person to person - though most will say don't push it beyond 65 mph (6500 rpm) for too long

Most of the guys here will probably tell you your shifting a bit early thats very similar to how i shift so that sounds about right to me - i don't like to hear the bike scream

I tend to wait till 30 for 4th and 40 for 5th but it depends slightly on how warm the bike is

the best tip for the highway is probably change your 15tooth sprocket for a 16tooth one - it'll handle the higher speeds better without the engine screaming...but it'll loose all (if it had any to begin with) top end torque

*disclaimer* listen to just about everyone else on here before taking any of my advice.... and yes i see that this statement in itself is giving advice
Old 08-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Gz Rider

Old 08-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
cayuse

Here's my shifting patterns, both 'aggressive' and 'normal', with the stock gearing:

I'm shifting at higher rpm than you are, but that's just what feels right to me.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 08-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
geezer

personally i feel its better to rev the engine just a tad more, i shift into 5th at around 45 or 50 mph. any less and i have to give the bike more throttle and thats bad for fuel economy to load down an under reved motor. personal theory here but the bike is so much more ridable for me that way

Old 08-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I agree with Geezer. Engines are more efficient when spinning and not under too much load.

I always convert this to bicycle riding. I would rather hit an incline with a lower gear and higher revs than I would in a higher gear with low revs. It's just easier on the joints and the ol' heart/lungs. Same is true for bikes.

High gears for straights and down hills. Low gears for acceleration and climbs.