Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
schooler94

Removing the swingarm pivot shaft

Hey guys, this is the last step before my engine is out of the bike, but I cant seem to get the pivot shaft out so I can remove the engine. I tried jacking the engine up with no success and I hit the bolt with a smaller one and hammer, but the bolt I was using is only so long... Any suggestions?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Removing the swingarm pivot shaft

The bolt is likely frozen in place. Can you manage to put a socket on the other end and apply some force while giving the bolt a smack with the hammer. It may need a little twist to help it move. Yup, I know...........you will need more hands and probably another body too. Swing arms are prone to sticking in their place after a few years if not removed once in a while and cleaned and lubed.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
schooler94

I think it was the weight of the engine on it that was holding the bolt in place because it was pretty greasy and clean. Thanks though! Oh yeah... and I got a socket wrench extender stuck in the hole now, and the frame moved out of place so I can't get to it now... So hopefully it will stop raining and I can try to fix it tomorrow. Might have to pull off the swingarm or something tomorrow

Old 11-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Just had a chuckle. At least the bike isn't like a kids toy needing assembly. No matter how you do it..it is wrong.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
schooler94

Haha yeah... well, you learn from experience. If it means an extra few hours taking the swingarm off, oh well. I get a better idea of how everything works

Old 11-16-2012, 02:32 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooler94
Haha yeah... well, you learn from experience. If it means an extra few hours taking the swingarm off, oh well. I get a better idea of how everything works
Yeah. I had fun with my KDX 200 when I brought it home the day I bought it new. Into the garage and stripped it down to see how everything worked and where to look when need be. Also got to correct a couple assembly flaws from the factory. Loose and or missing hardware can be a liability when you are 30 kms from civilization. The bike was reliable as an anvil for the 9 years I had it.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
schooler94

Oh man, I'd be scared sh**less to disassemble a brand new perfectly working bike haha
Old 11-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooler94
Oh man, I'd be scared sh**less to disassemble a brand new perfectly working bike haha
I've done this to the past 4 brand new motocross bikes I purchased. They BARELY use any grease on the suspension bearings from the factory. You "should" completely dissasemble the suspension components and add a reasonable amount of lube. My secret recipie for long bearing life is a 50/50 mix of synthetic marine grease and antisieze. Oops, I guess it's no secret now... :retard:
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)
Old 11-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
schooler94

Haha alright, well now that I know a little about bikes, if I ever get a brand new one I'll do that