Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 04-27-2015, 05:59 AM   #1
*cathleen*

starter relay

ISO
hi boyz, I'm new here... my daughter gave me her 2001 and I've ridden for a couple of years. this year I need to replace the starter relay and am wanting to know the best on-line place to order, and if there is any specific info I need other that the year. I purchased a "universal" one but it didn't fit well in the housing and I did not want to modify it.... and the $70 I paid wasn't appealing either, as I heard they could be purchased for under $20 on line. thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-27-2015, 04:47 PM   #2
alantf

Why do you need to replace it? A relay's just a high current switch, operated by a low current coil. If you let us know the problem, it's just possible that we may be able to tell you how to repair yours, and avoid having to buy a new one. Don't just keep throwing money at it. We're here to help you.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Betcha the start button needs some contact cleaner. Start with the simple stuff before looking for the serious stuff.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:13 AM   #4
*cathleen*

I already purchased the new one, cheap, no worries. ($10)
I sure appreciate you all! While my friend was putting the meter to electrical things (gosh, I sound as blonde as I have been!!), I cleaned every contact I could find. I wish I knew the correct name for things so I could describe what I'm looking at!

The problem is this: She won't start, there is juice to everything else, and I accidently connected the two cables going TO the relay and it started to turn over, but since I had pulled the gas tank, (basically just cleaning and getting acquainted she didn't start, just turned over a little) of course when I jumped back (and yelled AGH!!) and dropped whatever I had in my hand that I arc-ed the connection with it quit too, broke the connection anyway.

It was originally purchased in coastal Maine, and I can't imagine the moist salty air is much good for anything metal, so cleaning all the contacts (and checking connections) I thought would be a good idea.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:48 AM   #5
alantf

If you reconnected the two thick cables to the solenoid, and it won't start, have you put them back on the same terminals? If you get them the wrong way round, it won't work, as one of them also feeds the low current coil. If you're not sure, try swapping them round, and see if it works now. We don't get many cases when it's the solenoid that's at fault.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
*cathleen*

thank you again Alan. can't wait 'til Wednesday when my work week ends and I can get some grease under my nails again. and I'll look like this, pink helmet and bronze braids flying!
Old 04-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #7
alantf

Here's a diagram I've drawn of the starter relay, which (I hope) will help you to understand how it works. Basically, the starter motor takes 80-90 amps, so it needs a thick cable. But you couldn't take such a thick cable to the starter switch, so it uses a low current, thin cable, to operate a coil, which pulls in the heavy contacts which are needed for the starter current. When the safety switches are made, and the starter button is pressed, current flows through the coil and draws the main contacts closed. Release the start button, and the contact opens.

7.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (81.4 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by alantf; 04-28-2015 at 10:24 AM.