Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
yakobo75

Newb in WI

Thinking about picking one up tomorrow...They have a 2002 with 6k on it but I think I'll probably go new...I'm a stockier guy (5'9 215) and the sales dudes keep trying to make me buy a bigger bike but I've never touched a bike in my whole life and I'm simply buying it for a short commute to work to save gas...and occasionally city rides on the weekend...I don't need to impress anyone; as long as this bike will do 25-40 for city driving, I"m all good...rode my friends 250 Rebel today and I imagine the GZ will be the same...What do you guys think? Comparable to the Rebel? Nice to meet all you

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-21-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
rayzuki

I'm new to riding too but I am 5'11 200 and fit comfortable on the bike. Haven't gone on a long ride yet but have no issues. Im sure some on the other guys will chime in here.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:18 AM   #3
yakobo75

Kinda pondering a S40 now too..only cost a little more but I'm a big chicken and the fact that it's a 650 scares me...

Old 04-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakobo75
Kinda pondering a S40 now too..only cost a little more but I'm a big chicken and the fact that it's a 650 scares me...
Size and weight wise you should be able to handle the S40 but watch that riding position.
Just seems to me like there is something basically wrong about a cruiser with drag bars.
Unless you have LONG arms, it will give you a little more forward lean.
If they won't let you ride one, at least sit on it for more than a few seconds.

Given your requirements, I think you are right in looking at the 250s.
I think the twins wring out a little more power, probably with higher revs........but the GZ just LOOKS bigger than it is !!
Old 04-21-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
CMS

New Bike

Welcome to the forum, Follow your own thoughts on the bike. You have to pay for it, you have to gain your riding confidience, its your choice. Ask those who think your buying the wrong bike, to buy you the one they want, and by the way ,pay for it also. :rawk: I have other larger bikes ,guess which one I ride most of the time. I just bought it this year, [GZ 250, gray] and can't seem to get off of it, it's too much fun. Go for it, and enjoy!! CMS

2017 Yamaha R -3 White
2013 Suzuki GW250 Black
FSSNOC # 4953

Old 04-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Re: New in WI

Quote:
Thinking about picking one up tomorrow...They have a 2002 with 6k on it but I think I'll probably go new...I'm a stockier guy (5'9 215) and the sales dudes keep trying to make me buy a bigger bike but I've never touched a bike in my whole life and I'm simply buying it for a short commute to work to save gas...and occasionally city rides on the weekend...I don't need to impress anyone; as long as this bike will do 25-40 for city driving, I"m all good...rode my friends 250 Rebel today and I imagine the GZ will be the same...What do you guys think? Comparable to the Rebel? Nice to meet all you
Rebel Vs GZ ?? HMM, here is my take. Have sat on Rebels and lurked on their forums too. The Rebel is as good as any small bike. It is a touch smaller than the GZ which may not give you the room to move around a bit for comfort. The bars will hit your knees in some tight maneuvers. The tank is smaller with less range. The GZ has a bigger tank and the lines just make it look that much bigger overall. Rebel, 2 cylinder 223 cc engine. GZ 1 cylinder with counter balancer. Both about the same power also. Take your pick. Now the S 40 is just a larger GZ more or less. I really like them especially with the drag bars and white paint. The 650 single is a real thumper and has been around for ages. Relies more on torque than horse power and would be a nice relaxed ride. None of these bikes have a great aftermarket accessory list but can still be outfitted reasonably well.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:11 AM   #7
badfun

Send a message via AIM to badfun
I am 5' 11 as well 200 lbs I have had a few bikes I love my GZ but have to admit I wish it had more power for long highway rides. I have put 600 miles on mine and am now very comfortable cornering as higher speeds (not like a granny anymore). I sat on a rebel the other day I like the look but hated the feel. If I had the cash I would keep the Gz and buy a R6 .
Old 04-26-2008, 11:21 PM   #8
yakobo75

Okay...bought GZ250...Sat on it and it felt perfect...the rebels gear shifter placement was too close for me (big feet). I got a 2006 Black with 880 miles for 2700...good deal? Picking it up on Monday and I can't wait...anybody got a good suggestion for a helmet? I got a huge melon and was probably going to go with a 2XL HJC-CL SP...chime in if you have any comments on this setup...thanks folks
Old 04-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
warrior

Great choice on the bike as for the helmet get the best you can afford. Get some advice from the shop but be aware they may want to sell you the most expensive. For size and fit you might want to take their advise as well but remember a new lid should be a little tight because it will loosen with were. My best advise would be to bring someone with you who knows a bit about it. The issue of helmets and gear is done to death on forums all over the world. This one is best, no that one is best etc........... By the way put a screen, engine bars, tool roll, sissy bar and saddlebags on the GZ and it will look much bigger. Also if you are an absolute noobie get some profesional lesson. Even a few hours training could save your life some day.
Keep her rubber side down :2tup:
W
Old 04-27-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
chasp72

Quote:
Okay...bought GZ250...Sat on it and it felt perfect...the rebels gear shifter placement was too close for me (big feet). I got a 2006 Black with 880 miles for 2700...good deal? Picking it up on Monday and I can't wait...anybody got a good suggestion for a helmet? I got a huge melon and was probably going to go with a 2XL HJC-CL SP...chime in if you have any comments on this setup...thanks folks
Congrats on your bike. I've had my 2001 GZ250 for 10 months and put on about 2400 miles. I love it. I purchased an HJC-CL SP helmet and find it works well for me. I think it's best to try the actual model and size of helmet on before buying. I did it at my local Suzuki dealer and bought it from them, too. Not much difference in price from online. The size doesnt' always tell the story. I needed a large in the HJC even though my Nolan XL fits well. BTW, I opted for a yellow color. I wanted to do all I could to be seen by the cages. (Besides, it goes well with my yellow jackets.)

2001 GZ250