Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 03-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
alantf

Goodbye to my GZ

Well, it had to happen. I'm 71 now, and my balance has turned wobbly, plus other age related health problems, so rather than pose a problem to me and the other road users, I thought I'd hang up my helmet. I've had problems selling the bike, though. I took it down to the bike shop last September. I bought the bike there, ten years ago, and Alonso who owns the shop was happy to sell it for me. He knows the bike so well (He's done every repair & service on it) so he knew it was in first class condition, and even threw a warranty in for the new owner. Now...... The problem it's taken so long to sell is that it's a 250cc. Over here anyone with a car licence can ride up to 125cc, so anybody without a bike licence rides a 125cc scooter, and everybody with a bike licence seems to want a 500cc or above, crotch rocket. Anyway the bike cost me (new) ten years ago, €3,300 (around $4,070) and I'll get €800 (around $1,00) for it, so after ten years I'll still get nearly ¼ of what I paid for it. I'm sad that my riding days are over (I've had a bike licence since 1965) but every good thing must come to an end.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
derbydave

Seems like the guys around here that get too old for two wheels trade them in and get a trike. Those are $$$ though. $1000 -$1500 is about the going rate in my area for a nice GZ or Honda Rebel. Depreciation on a motorcycle is steep.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #3
Vegas Street Rider

It is good that you know it is time to quit riding. Better that than not being able to react and handle traffic situations with confidence. I am sorry you have to give it up as I know how you must feel. I am a few years younger than you but not by much and I know my time will come relatively soon. Dwell on the thought of all the great times you had on that bike. Don't be a stranger to the forum, as I know you have lots of great knowledge to share. Take care.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Alantf, I am sad to hear your are hanging up the helmet but glad you are doing it before you have a mishap and get hurt. I just turned 73 and I know it won't be too many years before I hang up the helmet and call it a day.
I'm sure we can all recall some one who was getting older and refusing to acknowledge poor eye sight, poor reflexes and lack of concentration. All bad for riders and drivers alike. Even worse for pedestrians who might get hit.
It does take courage to admit to being too old for certain activities that can hurt you. Just glad your EGO didn't get in the way of your decision.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:36 AM   #5
alantf

Just noticed a mistake in my post. I should have put that I'll get $1,000 not $ioo.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #6
jtderr

Alan, Sorry to hear you must quit riding but you know what is best for yourself. I just thought of you today when I started my bike for the first time since October and looked at the little rubber plug you gifted me. I will think of you every time I ride and see that plug. God Bless you and take care. J.T. Derr.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
Moedad

Checking back in after a long absence. Alan, sorry to see that you're no longer riding, but I agree with WW, good that it's on YOUR terms, not those of Fate.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #8
5th_bike

Alan, hope you stick around here. I'm still a few years from the 70 mark, and I hope I'll have your kind of wisdom when it's time to quit.