Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 09-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
Larry in Arkansas

Front Wheel Dust Cover

I bought a new 2005 GZ250 a few months ago and removed the front wheel tonight to have a new front tire installed. The dust cover is missing from the right side and I notice there is no parts number in the GZ parts fiche. Anyone know why? How can you get one?

Also, the speedometer gear is difficult to turn. How should this be serviced?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Sarris

Re: Front Wheel Dust Cover

There isn't one available if your talking hub cover.

There really is no service interval on the hub drive. Does the speedo work ok? I guess you could put a drop or 2 of 30 wt. oil in it, but other than that, it's good or bad.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
Larry in Arkansas

The service manual says to put a little grease when the front wheel is removed,which I did. It seems to have freed it up somewhat.
I think the problem I have is that the dust cover is missing and when I tighten the axle shaft, the wheel will no longer turn.
I think that the last person who installed a front tire misplaced the dust cover and tightend the axle shaft untill the wheel quit turning freely, backed off, and then tighted the pinch bolt to lock in place.
Kinda grasping at straws at this point. I have changed many tires and never had this problem.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
Sarris

If you tighten the axle shaft to spec and the wheel won't turn you may have a bearing issue.

Time to see the local dealer.

BTW, I thought you were asking about a decorative cover on the right side.

:??:
Old 09-14-2009, 07:50 AM   #5
bonehead

I'm with Sarris on this one. Also, check the parts list and make sure you have all of the parts that are on the list on your front axle. PO might have left something off.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
dannylightning

as mentioned bad bearings could definitely be your problem, that would have been my guess also. checking to make sure your not missing any thing would also be a good idea so i would take the advice these guys already mentioned. i dont think that little dust covers is going to do any thing besides keep the dust out. it's just a pice of plastic. if you really want one you can look on ebay some times there are people parting out the bikes on there and if you dont see one listed shoot them a email and see if they have one. or post a thread on here to try and find one.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
Larry in Arkansas

I discovered the problem. One of the tabs on the speedometer gear was bent into the case where the previous owner had not installed properly. Since this also made the wheel more difficult to turn, he didn't torque the axle bolt completely and used the pinch bolt to hold the axle in place. I bent the tab out and no more problems. Can't believe people do this kind of work.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in Arkansas
I discovered the problem. One of the tabs on the speedometer gear was bent into the case where the previous owner had not installed properly. Since this also made the wheel more difficult to turn, he didn't torque the axle bolt completely and used the pinch bolt to hold the axle in place. I bent the tab out and no more problems. Can't believe people do this kind of work.
people do all kinds of lousy work. glad you got it fixed and did not halve to spend any money. something so simple can mess things up
Old 09-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in Arkansas
Larry, you might want to go the rest of the bike and check for loose nuts and bolts. No telling what the PO was into and forgot to get it right. And it will give you reason for the shiney new tools you want. :whistle:
Old 03-31-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
Canuck

I just re-installed my new front tire and must have overlooked the speedo gear....really pissed me off when i realized what i had done and both tabs were bent in .. i distinctly remember hearing a pop sound which would verify my thoughts...

brutal... now is it the wheel or the gear...cause i bent the tabs straight out instead of tabs in almost all the way ... i hope nothing internal snapped...

I took it out after bending tabs and it worked until i hit the highway... and it stopped working again

there was metal shavings after the first ride with the wheel installed and i bent the tabs and took it out on the highway as stated above..

living and learning..