Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 08-25-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Whole Foods...

...I was out of town all week, and will be again this week, so I figured I better get some riding in this weekend, lest my skills regress. I really didn't have any place I needed to go so I had to think up some excuses for rides.

Yesterday I rode over to the local theater I used to be on the board of to watch Act I of their current production. Today, I decided to see what the Whole Foods fuss is about (I'd never been, but it's like #14 on the list of "Stuff White People Like." Coffee being #1, I figure the guy knows of whence he speaks.)

WF is about 18 miles one-way, and is a decent mix of 40-60 mph backroads with some city (traffic-light) driving. It also has a 1.5 mile stretch of near freeway that may or may not be legal for me to be on depending on one's legal acumen.

My wife had told me about the place - I asked her if she needed anything. Apparently they are the only place that carries Yorkshire tea, so I had an actual assignment. I put my trusty green cargo net on the back to secure my potential English Breakfast purchase.

For longer rides, I suit up in full gear, including padded, armored pants. It was about 75-80 today - real nice - a beautiful day to be riding for no particular reason. Ride down was fine. I'm just shy of 500 miles and I'm getting a lot more comfortable on the bike, expecially at speed and in traffic. Stopping at longer lights is a bit warm with the gear, but I flip up my face shield and zip down the jacket until I get going again. Lights are good nose scratching stations as well.

Got her up to about 65 on the freeway stretch - tried hunching down racing bike style. Reduced wind buffeting, but I don't think it helped my speed at all. Passing a lot more cars now than when I was a complete newb. Couple of sports cars were playing a little cat and mouse on the backroads, but nothing too serious.

Got to the WF without incident, parked in the lot, shed helmet and gloves and headed in for the Yorkshire. They had to have at least 25 kinds of tea in the place, but no sign of Yorkshire. There was a lady stocking that section and she told me they were "out." I found some Scottish Breakfast stuff with an English sounding name (harod something-or-other-gate.) Took a look at what they had for lunch. Tons of stuff, but it all looked like cafeteria food to me - settled on some sushi - wasn't that great. Prices were sky high too. I didn't really check the rest of the place out, I guess I'm not that into grocery stores. Paid for my box of imported tea bags and headed back.

Had one dicey moment about a block from the house. Coming off a steep hill, making a left turn, I down shifted all the way to first. I let the clutch out when I was turning and still moving at a decent clip. The engine braking skidded the back(?) tire, but I instinctively pulled the clutch back in before I dumped myself. I'll have to watch out for that. Probably should have only downshifted to third. Finished up at about 490 miles.

One more off the Grocery Stores I Must Visit Before I Die list.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-25-2008, 01:49 AM   #2
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: Whole Foods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
For longer rides, I suit up in full gear, including padded, armored pants.
What kind of pants?

Quote:
Coming off a steep hill, making a left turn, I down shifted all the way to first. I let the clutch out when I was turning and still moving at a decent clip. The engine braking skidded the back(?) tire, but I instinctively pulled the clutch back in before I dumped myself.
That happened to me a lot in the first month or so of riding (less now, but still happens). You had a very good reaction tho. After doing that the first time, I had a nice, long, expletive-ridden converation with myself. Of course my instinct was to jerk the front brake hard, drop both feet to the ground and try my hardest not to add exterior "padding" to my seat.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:51 AM   #3
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
...and Whole Foods prices are outrageous.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:11 AM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Pants are Tour Master...

...but don't take this as an endorsement. I like them well enough, but my selection criteria was, they were basically the only pair of pants in the entire motorcycle dealership in my size. I think most people would consider them a "bit much" for my level of riding, but I like the padding and the plastic and, frankly, the overall "Batman" look to them. I also have a little more confidence with them on then I do when I'm wearing my jeans on the work commute. They are roomy enough so I can wear a pair of board shorts or the like underneath if I'm going to the beach or similar. Mostly I don't, though, cause it's already hot enough with 'em on.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Quote:
Had one dicey moment about a block from the house. Coming off a steep hill, making a left turn, I down shifted all the way to first. I let the clutch out when I was turning and still moving at a decent clip. The engine braking skidded the back(?) tire, but I instinctively pulled the clutch back in before I dumped myself. I'll have to watch out for that. Probably should have only downshifted to third. Finished up at about 490 miles.
You shouldn't shift in a turn period. Should always set yourself up before the turn into the proper gear. Never into first unless you are 5mph or below or coming to a complete stop.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 08-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
..Got her up to about 65 on the freeway stretch - tried hunching down racing bike style. Reduced wind buffeting, but I don't think it helped my speed at all.

Coming off a steep hill, making a left turn, I down shifted all the way to first. I let the clutch out when I was turning and still moving at a decent clip.
I find that once I get to 65, it will hold that pretty good, even up a slight hill.
GETTING there is a different story sometimes. I have a windshield so don't need to worry about the "hunker down" thing but I have discovered that hooking your heels on the passenger pegs seems to cut down wind drag a lot. Helps in getting TO 60-65 in the first place. Also helps with butt cramps. This position, however, is NOT recommended for noobies in traffic!!

Repeat after me........1st gear is ONLY for starting after a COMPLETE stop......ONLY a complete stop..........

I take most turns in 3rd, occasionally 2nd for a creeping roll up to a sharp turn but never 1st without a complete stop.
As I mentioned somewhere else, something you should try a little later on is starting out in 2nd. If you can do it without stalling, there are times when that works better than trying to coax it into first.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
[
Repeat after me........1st gear is ONLY for starting after a COMPLETE stop......ONLY a complete stop..........
1st gear is ONLY for starting after a COMPLETE stop......ONLY a complete stop

As long as you don't have to put your feet down, you don't need first gear.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #8
patrick_777

After reading through again, I have to revise my statement. I seldom, if ever, downshift through a turn. The physics of leaning/turning is enough for the bike to handle without having to deal with a squirrelly power transfer.

I have many times, and still do occasionally, downshift to first accidentally and it's usually still followed by a few expletives and a bit of a wobbly front wheel. This usually only happens when I lose count (or forget) of the gear I'm in, and I miss the clunk that comes with shifting into first.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

Appreciate the tips...

...maybe you experts can ive a few more pointers. There's at least three general situations I'd like to review with the perfessor's:

1) Coming up to your basic right turn -maybe there's a light, maybe not. I'm gonna be slowing down, but not to a stop. I'm probably approaching like a bat out of hell (45 or more, fifth gear), but I'm going to have to slow down (brake) and downshift. What's the recommended sequence?
2) Coming up on a right turn SHARPLY UPHILL (I live in "The Hills") he rest would be the same as the above...
3) Coming up on a left turn while going down a steep hill.

Even though I suppose I know better, currently, I'm braking and downshifting as I enter the turn, and often, I have the clutch in as a approach the apex. I let it out as I'm coming out. I'm typically in 2nd or 3rd. I was in first in the aformentioned incident because I thought I *might* be stopping, but then, I didn't.

Seems hard to develop instinctive habits on these turns. (I don't have any of these problems on "curves.")

(FYI - I'm wastin time on GZ-Creezy at 39,000 feet!)
Old 08-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #10
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
1) you always set yourself up BEFORE the turn. As in - downshift and brake to get yourself to the speed you want to take the turn. DON'T hold the clutch in while taking the turn! Set yourself up to correct speed, roll off the throttle as you enter the turn, lean, roll back onto the throttle through the apex and out.

2) I have one of these right turns sharply uphill near me. As you are throttling up hill ...set yourself up for the turn BEFORE the turn (see above). slow the bike down to the speed you want to enter the turn (brake + downshift). As you enter the turn, lean, throttle up at the apex and throttle out.

3) Brake and downshift (again, set yourself up for the turn BEFORE the turn). As you enter the turn at the optimal speed, lean, throttle at the apex and throttle out.

When done correctly, you will feel the difference. Rolling on that throttle at the apex and throttling out of it is a great feeling.

NEVER: use the front brake in a turn or shift while in a turn

If you see a pattern, there is. Brake + downshift BEFORE the turn (always set youself up BEFORE the turn), coast (without pulling in the clutch) through the turn, at the apex roll onto the throttle, as you start to exit throttle on out and off you go.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook