Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 08-31-2009, 03:34 AM   #1
alanmcorcoran

CA 1, Monterey, CA 46

I'd planned on taking a trip up to Monterey earlier this summer, but I ended up doing HAiR instead. The show closed last weekend and I was going to go on a ride with Moedad to Angeles Crest, but between the heat wave and the fires, it seemed like a "beach" trip would be better bet. My daughter has been living up in Salinas since she transferred to CSMB last winter and school started last week so I had at least a plausible excuse for all this time (and gas) wasting. About 1/4 of this is along the coast - where it's about 15 - 20 degrees cooler. The rest? Well, at least you can go faster...

I didn't take many pictures - as many of you can relate to, I was mostly riding the bike. There's a few in the slideshow below. This was my longest trip to date and Sunday was the most consecutive hours in the saddle. I learned a lot about my personal capacity for touring - probably would learn more if I kept at it for more days. I'm not sure if Busy has already documented CA 1 from SLO to Monterey, but it's a sort of California "must do." Kind of like Dragon Tail for East Coasters. There's a few gnarlies here and there, but for the most part, it's moderate. The ocean and the cliffs are in view for a lot of it, if you like scenery (like me) this has an abundance. Plus there is the Hearst Castle, which, although quite touristy, is quality touristy. I'd seen it already so I skipped that, but I saw a lot of Harley's (there's mostly Harleys on CA1) stopping there. Got in a lot of hardcore highway miles too, the new bike is really well suited for the super slab. Rode the whole thing in full battle rattle, at times in temps over 100. That kind of sucked, but as long as I was moving I could tolerate it for a few hours. CA 46 is nice too. Cut's through the middle of the state, high speed sweepers through farmland. 50 miles of quality backroad riding.

[pbss:1xcr5bxi]http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/alanmcorcoran/Salinas/?action=view&current=87329303.pbw[/pbss:1xcr5bxi]

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Moedad

Re: CA 1, Monterey, CA 46

I'm glad you got to ride somewhere far away. And we don't get enough watermelon and IHop pictures around here, so well done in that regard. One of my favorite things about the central coast is seeing Monterey Cypress trees. I don't know why they appeal to me so much. I really like them.

I didn't go anywhere, but I did change my oil and filter.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
JWR

Glad you had a good trip.

The more miles I do, the more I want to do.

Enjoy :2tup:

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Old 08-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Yeah, sorry about the pictures. When I get going, I just keep going. I looked at stuff, but I could only take pictures when I was stopped. I could have snapped a few at McDonalds at Blanco and Main in Salinas, McDonald's/Mobil in Lost Hills and Jack in the Box at Lake Hughes Road, but I figured you guys already know what a burger and fries looks like. There was a real nice Chevron about 20 miles down the 101 and a pretty sweet Exxon at the beginning of CA 46 but I just forgot to pull out the iphone.

The watermelon is growing in a giant patch in my daughter's backyard in Salinas.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Yeah, sorry about the pictures. When I get going, I just keep going.
Did you drive up on Saturday and back on Sunday? How long and how many miles were each day? I need to take a trip.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
bonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Yeah, sorry about the pictures. When I get going, I just keep going. I looked at stuff, but I could only take pictures when I was stopped. I could have snapped a few at McDonalds at Blanco and Main in Salinas, McDonald's/Mobil in Lost Hills and Jack in the Box at Lake Hughes Road, but I figured you guys already know what a burger and fries looks like. There was a real nice Chevron about 20 miles down the 101 and a pretty sweet Exxon at the beginning of CA 46 but I just forgot to pull out the iphone.

The watermelon is growing in a giant patch in my daughter's backyard in Salinas.
Ohcrap, here we go again with an iphone...LOL
Old 08-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Did you drive up on Saturday and back on Sunday? How long and how many miles were each day? I need to take a trip.
Had I known you were up for it I'd have asked you to come. I got the "fever" Friday night after I got back from a coffeeshop open mic. Packed the bike with 4 days of socks, underwear and Red Bull and left at early Sat at 2:45 am to beat the heat. Got to Ventura about 4:30, about 100 miles or so, and took a break until about 11:30. Saturday went to Carpinteria IHOP (see photo), then stopped in Santa Maria for a coffee, chapstick and anti-itch. Santa Maria to Ragged Point (see photo) then on to Salinas. Had dinner at Chilis, chilled for a bit and hit the hay. Total Sat mileage: ~400. Ass, neck and general soreness. Sunday, met daughter #1 for a tour of CSMB and breakfast. Left Salinas at about 11:20. From there, pretty much just gas and snack stops until I pulled back into the driveway at 5:40pm. Total Sunday mileage: ~370 miles. Neck was actually better on the second day, as was ass, but throttle hand was fried. Today some residual stiffness between the shoulder blades and I forgot to put my earplugs in for return trip so I'm a little deaf. I think if I was out for a while I might get used to the abuse. You sure get a lot more used to the bike.

You can average 75 or better on the south 101 and 5 portions (speed limit 70), but you only gonna get about 30-35 on the Big Sur stretch (some 15-20mph hairpins, light traffic, single lane, bright sun, blind corners.)
Old 08-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
Ohcrap, here we go again with an iphone...LOL
I guess I missed the iphone thread. I just got mine a few months ago (it's not the latest) so I could surf the 'Net and Facebook if the coffeehouse singers were bad. I actually found it to be quite useful on the trip. I booked a semi-nice hotel in Salinas for $64 by using hotels.com on the iphone at Chili's. I pulled over at a fork in the 46, and checked Google maps to make sure I was going the right way. At each stop, it automatically told me how many miles left to home. Plus I periodically txted my wife to let her know I was still alive. Checked e-mail and FB at stops, checked weather and temps. Most of the pictures were taken from the iphone. I will leave the mini-Sony home next time. (There was no cell service at Ragged Point, so that is something to consider.)

Oh, I made a couple of calls with it too. I give the iphone a big thumbs up for motorcyclists!
Old 08-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
bonehead

You obviously did'nt follow the mcintyre-aerospace logs a while back. Look in the rear brake noise posts, you'll see.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
alanmcorcoran

Yeah... I generally skip anything to do with fixing, diagnosing, troubleshooting or modding. (As Mr. Eastwood once said, "A man's got to know his limitations." I got a lot!)

I DO know how to remove the side panel and charge the battery if that ever comes up.