Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
steelerdude99

For misc hardware, I'm lucky enough to live near a good "mom and pop" hardware store that has just about every metric/inch screw/nut/bolt imaginable. Even a "chain store" like a Lowes has cabinets w/ hardware sorted by size, length and metal type. Take one of the damaged ones with ya, and find what ya need.

If ya find something that's the correct thread size, but too long. What I do is get a steel nut in that thread size along with screws. I then put the screw in the nut before I cut it to length. Then file or grind the cut smooth. When the screw is backed out, it chases the thread.

chuck

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-15-2015, 10:38 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdude99 View Post
For misc hardware, I'm lucky enough to live near a good "mom and pop" hardware store that has just about every metric/inch screw/nut/bolt imaginable. Even a "chain store" like a Lowes has cabinets w/ hardware sorted by size, length and metal type. Take one of the damaged ones with ya, and find what ya need.

If ya find something that's the correct thread size, but too long. What I do is get a steel nut in that thread size along with screws. I then put the screw in the nut before I cut it to length. Then file or grind the cut smooth. When the screw is backed out, it chases the thread.

chuck
Great helpful hint.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #13
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine View Post
.Exact same part from China....
It could look the same but could be a knock-off made with inferior materials.

Most likely though, you get exactly the same thing, as most of what they sell in the US is made in China anyway (with inferior materials).

Old 03-24-2015, 06:05 AM   #14
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike View Post
most of what they sell in the US is made in China anyway (with inferior materials).
This is the same as in most other countries now. Everybody's out for a quick buck. Just wait until every other country's manufacturing shuts down, and the Chinese have the monopoly. Then watch the prices shoot through the roof.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:39 AM   #15
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
This is the same as in most other countries now. Everybody's out for a quick buck. Just wait until every other country's manufacturing shuts down, and the Chinese have the monopoly. Then watch the prices shoot through the roof.
That would be good, because then it would be competitive to make stuff here again, and you could make a living.
Have the Chinese keep their own crap. Like wrenches and sockets that break and crack because they are softer than the nuts and bolts you want to turn.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:13 AM   #16
alantf

Afraid it might be too costly to restart manufacturing again. In England they shut down the coalmines and steelworks, to bring in foreign cheap imports. Now the start up costs means that they can't start up again. And what about bikes? Japan brought cheaper, better, bikes onto the market, and the British bike manufacturers went under. Then the Jap bike prices went up. Same with cars. My first Datsun was really cheap. Now look at the prices, and what happened in Detroit. Will the American car manufacturers ever get going again?
Old 03-29-2015, 08:12 AM   #17
steelerdude99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike View Post
It could look the same but could be a knock-off made with inferior materials.

Most likely though, you get exactly the same thing, as most of what they sell in the US is made in China anyway (with inferior materials).
Here’s my experience with Chinese fasteners. A few years ago I bought some lag bolts from a “big box” home improvement store to hold up some shelves to 2x4” framing studs. I was attaching a 2x4” across the front of studs with a 4.5-inch by 5/16” lag bolt. Every one of the lag bolts that I tried to install broke while tightening. That did not instill confidence in the strength of my end-result. I doubted my procedure of a pilot hole and I was very sure I was not over-torque’ing as all I used was a standard 3/8” drive ratchet. I decided the Chinese ones were just junk and took the unused ones back.

I got some old lag bolts that were about the same size, but made many many years ago (estimated made in the 50’s ? or 60’s?). I went and got some scrap wood to test strength. I did the same pilot size and turned it in and it did not break. I took a half-inch drive breaker-bar and kept cranking. The wood gave way and it striped the wood threads. Bottom-line: The old bolt NEVER broke.

chuck