Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 02-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #31
Water Warrior 2

Re: Speed Record for the GZ250

Had the retirement lunch and was very emotional for me. I knew a lot of good people and would no longer have them in my life on a daily basis. Did get a gold watch though. Wore it for a few days and decided time was mine now. Put the watch away with the 2 others and don't miss them at all.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #32
mrlmd1

Way to go! I too miss those people but I can see them with a plane ride or they come here to visit. Friendships last. But get rid of the watch and then realize you can go fishing, sailing, riding, traveling, whatever you want, with no timetable to adhere to. That's what it's all about. And it's a new chapter in your life. I love it. C'mon down here and we'll go fishing and have a brew instead of the office or wherever.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:00 AM   #33
Water Warrior 2

Would love to visit Florida but that would be more than the budget will allow at this time. Ideally I would ride and take my time to see the sights. I keep thinking about a part time job in the winter to provide more summer ride $ but that is a serious commitment. Might have to wear a watch again. lol. :biggrin:

Old 02-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #34
Chris

Hi Mrlmd1,
Looks like you have plenty of toys. I'm retired young north of Atlanta.

Where are you in Florida? I go to Indian Rocks with my family every May so we are looking forward to it right now. No motorcycle, but I will bring my small jet boat down to ride, fish in the bay.
How long have you been retired? What did you do?

Chris, living in the woods above Atlanta
Old 02-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #35
mrlmd1

Chris - I am in Shell Point, 40 miles south of Tallahassee right on the Gulf Of Mexico (want to buy a really nice house in Tallahassee on a 2 1/2 acre park-like setting?) . Moved down here from NJ (just west of NYC) July 2002 when I retired at 59, never looked back. I was a cardiovascular/thoracic surgeon working 60-80 hrs./week, up nights, every other weekend, at the mercy of whomever was on the other end of the telephone. Despite all the hours and hard work and expertise and responsibility for someone's life and good health, the pay sucks because of Uncle Sam and 5-8% yearly cuts in Medicare payments for the past 15+ years despite insurance, office costs and salaries, etc, etc, going up every year. And forget about all the bullshit lawyers trying to make big bucks and hospital administrators and insurance companies you have to deal with to get the job done. Don't get me started. I like what I am doing right now much better - boating, sailing, fishing, kayaking, riding (short trips around here) and even doing absolutely nothing or only cutting the grass. A much better life, like I said, a new chapter to do what you want, not what every one else wants you to do. Hopefully it'll last for all of us many, many years to come.

I have to dig out a map an look up Indian Rocks - where is that?

And don't forget, that old saying that he who dies with the most toys wins, is bullshit. When you're dead, you're dead, and maybe someone else gets all the toys.
Wouldn't you love to be one of your own children?

Old 02-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #36
mr. softie

Say mrlmd1, What are you asking for the house in Tallahassee? And are there any jobs there? I need a change big time.:-)
Old 02-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #37
Sarris

I live in New Port Richey in Pasco County, Florida. It is the county which north of Pinellas County, where Indian Rocks (and Indian Rocks Beach) are located. I used to own a Gulf front condo there, as well as Indian Rocks Beach is where I got clanged in 06. Re: the 8 month wheelchair experience.

Google Map.......

Old 02-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #38
Chris

Hi guys,
Haven't been on this part of the board in a while. I'm about to post a note of valve adjustment.

Sarris, you said you got dinged up near Indian Rocks? On the GZ250?

mrlnd1 - Indian Rocks is a quiet beach community just south of Clearwater. For years I took my family to condos on the Panhandle. Then I stumbled on Indian Rocks area. Same condo, same beach, same water, same palm trees, same everything...but half the condo price!!! From Atlanta it is one hour further drive but to save $900 I'll do it.
Mrlnd1 - sounds like you have a great life. I would not miss the pressure of being a Doctor either. I dated a girl whose Dad and Mom were both Doctors and they lived near the hospital. What a miserable life they had! The phone rang constantly and they had to run up to the hospital. You made a good call.

Chris, Atlanta
Old 03-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #39
Chris

New Speed Record for a GZ250!!

I had previously claimed the all time speed record for a completely stock GZ250 at 76.9mph. But...

Just got in from an all day 230 miles ride in NW Georgia. Rode country highways mostly, but was in a hurry to get home so I took I75 from Adairsville to my home in Marietta. Ran 70mph most of the time.
On a lonely stretch I opened her up and just hung on. The speed climbed and then stopped. The speedo said 80, but the GPS says 79.2mph. I hereby claim the all time speed record for a GZ250. See picture.
So the question is...am I lying? Of course I could be, who would know? Well, I'm a retired Christian guy who dosen't lie and I have the GPS to prove it. This is real. If you don't believe it then come to Georgia and bring a lot of gambling money with you.

Chris, retired guy near Atlanta
Old 03-06-2009, 10:27 PM   #40
mr. softie

Re: New Speed Record for a GZ250!!

Well of course Chris your bike is fast cause it is RED!!! Mine is red and I have indicated 87 once, but no GPS so I might have been dreaming or in an alternate Universe where GZ's go that fast. I might add I was on a long downhill section of I95 with a tailwind on a very hot day with my feet on the rear pegs and my chin on the bars and passing a high-balling semi. As I hit his bow wave I slowed down. Exciting but scary! I do get up to the low 80's on occasion when I am in a big rush, but again no gps.