dannylightning

Re: Thinking about buying a GZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Hell yeah!! I'd even recommend a Harley Sportster 883 Iron

Look at this bad mofo: HD Iron 883

THAT'S a starter bike!!

:skull: :skull:
that is the bike i wanted but could not afford. but you know what, now im really glad i got this suzuki instead. i absolutely love it

after looking at that picture of the iron again tho im thinking thats one of the best looking stock rides you can get,

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #12
New GZ250

:crutches: :crutches: :crutches: :crutches: :crutches:

You guys win!
Old 10-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #13
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning

my insurance in the gz was right around 80.00 a year.
Bloody hell! My insurance (Spanish) is € 214 (around $ 270) & that doesn't cover theft, even, or me riding other bikes. Just public liability, and for some strange reason, fire. I dread to think what it'd cost me for a 650 or 800.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #14
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:

my insurance in the gz was right around 80.00 a year.
Bloody hell! My insurance (Spanish) is € 214 (around $ 270) & that doesn't cover theft, even, or me riding other bikes. Just public liability, and for some strange reason, fire. I dread to think what it'd cost me for a 650 or 800.
do you have a bad driving record?? speeding tickets and such, here when they ask you if you are going to use the bike for pleasure or commuting. if you tell them commuting im sure the insurance would cost more. the 800cc cost me 110.00 a year. if i want full coverage it would cost right about 200.00 a year.

that is lousy it cost you that much to insure a motorcycle.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #15
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by New GZ250
Come on guys, this is his first bike, and he has never ridden? A 650 or 750???????????
I am usually the first one to say that but..........he IS a BIG guy......and we aren't recommending sport bikes with an R in the name. :roll:

For somebody his size, there would be nothing at all wrong with a cruiser or standard in the 500 to 800 cc range.

If he gets a bike that is not reasonably comfortable, he might STOP riding before he even gets a good start.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #16
Moedad

I'm going to agree with the "bigger bike" group in this case. There should be a decent selection of good used bikes in that price range.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

For all the folks feeling raped by insurance companies.................my monthly cost is more than your yearly cost. My Vstrom is a 650 and not classified as a sport bike either. Canada is a insurer's paradise and the gov. in where specified is even worse. I pay $2500 a year for a Ranger pick up and a 650 Vstrom. And I haven't even had so much as a parking ticket in 30 years either. With a much shorter riding season in some or most parts of Canada the rates should be a lot lower. With little opportunity to ride during the winter months this makes for some expensive riding but still worthwhile and really refreshing to body and soul.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #18
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
For all the folks feeling raped by insurance companies.................my monthly cost is more than your yearly cost. My Vstrom is a 650 and not classified as a sport bike either. Canada is a insurer's paradise and the gov. in where specified is even worse. I pay $2500 a year for a Ranger pick up and a 650 Vstrom. And I haven't even had so much as a parking ticket in 30 years either. With a much shorter riding season in some or most parts of Canada the rates should be a lot lower. With little opportunity to ride during the winter months this makes for some expensive riding but still worthwhile and really refreshing to body and soul.
my god i would move out of canada if i were you.. that is complete crap. my yearly insurance cost is about 350.00 a year thats for my vehicle and my motorcycle. it is probably gonna go up a little bit since i moved back to ohio, still need to call and change it over. it will probably cost me another 100-200 dolors a year, if i remember insurance in ohio is a little more expensive now that im over 30 it may not be as expensive im hoping.

sorry they rape you on the insurance there in canada that is just not right. and it really pisses me off they are doing that.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:38 AM   #19
macnifico

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "New GZ250":38hm1mxd
Come on guys, this is his first bike, and he has never ridden? A 650 or 750???????????
I am usually the first one to say that but..........he IS a BIG guy......and we aren't recommending sport bikes with an R in the name. :roll:

For somebody his size, there would be nothing at all wrong with a cruiser or standard in the 500 to 800 cc range.

If he gets a bike that is not reasonably comfortable, he might STOP riding before he even gets a good start. [/quote:38hm1mxd]

I'm exactly 1.83m (6 ft) and 104 Kg (230 pounds) and feel a little cramped on the GZ250.
I have a Yamaha XJ750 from 1982 that it is VERY comfortable, but still too much for me.
I bought the GZ250 to learn and get experience, and it is fun to ride, but... yes, after an hour I feel the need to stop and walk a little bit. :biggrin:
Saludos desde Reynosa, Tamaulipas, Mexico.
macnifico
Bob Dylan, "Brownsville Girl"
Old 10-03-2009, 04:54 AM   #20
alantf

Quote:

do you have a bad driving record?? speeding tickets and such,
Nope! 45 accident free years in England. Two accidents over here (After I got the insurance) Both down to the other driver, so their insurance paid up. One speeding ticket (around 10 years ago, in England) but about which the insurers never asked me, & one over here (6mph over the limit!) a couple of months ago. I think the cost is so high because the Spanish level of driving ability is so low that the insurers EXPECT to have to pay out. It's rare to see a car over here that hasn't got dints & scratches.