Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 04-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #21
rynr

Re: GZ125 chain replacement

Also X-Ring chains are expensive. Performance/price comparsion is worth thinking for a while, but if money isn't a problem go get x-ring

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #22
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynr
Also X-Ring chains are expensive. Performance/price comparsion is worth thinking for a while, but if money isn't a problem go get x-ring
Consider chain maintenance and how often you have to replace a cheap chain. Not worth it to me.

If you do want to have a cheap chain then you might want to invest in a chain oiler. There is a British chain oiler that works very well and is not that much money. Some Vstrom riders use them and get remarkable life out of a chain. I'll think of the product name after I finish typing and hit submit. LOL.

Got it. Loobman chain oilers. Hope that is the correct spelling. Google is your friend.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #23
plodder-exup

Hi. I'm looking at a bodged chain change on a GZ125 for the friend of a neighbour, so I've got no manual or experience with these bikes.

The front sprocket washer is missing and I've got a new one but can't decide which way round it should go.

If the edge taper points inwards towards the sprocket then I can tighten the nut and it will compress and hold the sprocket firmly. My doubt with this is that the splines on the sprocket line up with the washer and will not become alligned until there is some tension on the nut and the tapered edge of the washer begins to be compressed.

If the edge taper points outwards then I would treat it like a locking washer and flatten it onto the nut. But this approach would mean that there is play in the front sprocket and this is what I think he has a problem with, as he thinks the gearbox is whining and damaged.

So to me neither of these seem right and I want to do this right, so could anyone please clarify this so I can get the man back on the road and the bike out of my (already cluttered) garage. I'm not a mechanical halfwit but I've got big Yamahas and have never owned a Suzuki (maybe I shouldn't say that on a Suzuki site).

Thanks
Lee

Old 12-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #24
blaine

Taper points outward & gets flattened against the nut to keep it from loosing.Is there "play" in the sprocket or in the output shaft?

:cool:

Old 12-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #25
plodder-exup

The play is in the sprocket. There was no washer before and the nut was tightened agains the splines of the shaft, leaving about 2mm of end-float between the nut and the sprocket.

The locking washer is about 1mm thick, so there's still about 1mm of end float. I can't believe that the nut is supposed to tighten against the splines; it just seems wrong.

On my FZRs, the retaining nut has a collar, so that it tightens against the sprocket, whereas the one on the GZ is a plain nut. I could fit a plain spacer washer between the locking washer and the nut to remove the play but there is not one shown on the parts diagram. I'm assuming here of course that I have the right nut and not one from the bodger's box of bits.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #26
blaine

I can't remember as my G.Z. is gone.But that nut don't sound right.Some one will step in & verify if you have the wrong nut.
:cool:

Old 12-22-2012, 03:49 AM   #27
plodder-exup

So would you agree that the sprocket should be clamped tightly between the flat face of the output shaft and the nut?

My thought at the moment is to get/make a spacer washer to suit and have him order the right nut in his own time.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:28 AM   #28
alantf

If you download the parts manual, from this site, page 17 shows the parts you need.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #29
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by plodder-exup
So would you agree that the sprocket should be clamped tightly between the flat face of the output shaft and the nut?
Yep I would!! :2tup:

Old 12-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #30
plodder-exup

I've got he right number of parts but can't tell if it's the right nut, so in lieu of having the right nut, I made a spacer washer, fitted it between the Suzuki locking washer and the but, torqued it all up tight and flattened the Suzuki locking washer onto the nut.

I'll let the guy know what I've done and recommend that he looks at getting the right nut but what I've done will be fine and get him back on the road.

Thanks for your help.