Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-02-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
woadtoad

Choke won't budge

My choke lever has been getting more and more difficult to move over the past couple years (I have an '04), and this year takes the cake. The lever isn't moving at all, no matter how much force or pressure I put on it. This might not be a HUGE problem on another bike, except I have never been able to get my GZ to start without also putting the choke on pretty much all the way--even when it was brand new, during the regular riding season. The bike has always required it, and now the lever is completely stuck.

Has anyone else experienced this with their GZ250? Always needing the choke? ...or have any other suggestions for starting it? For getting the choke unstuck?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Well, most all bikes need the choke on to start and warm up for the first minute or two.

When you push on the lever do you see any tension happening near the carb? Have you tried pulling the housing apart to see if its rusted or kinked inside? Have you followed the cable to see if its kinked anywhere along the way? Have you tried putting some lube in the cable? Have you tried disconnecting it at the carb and see if it moves freely at the carb?

Check everything for rusty parts, disocnnect the cable at both ends and try to move the carb side of it and the thumb slider without the cable attached (that will definetly tell you if its the cable itself or the thumb slide or at the carb).

Kinked or rusty would be my first two guesses. Best bet is to get that housing apart and check the cable ends and for kinks. Replace the cable if necessary.

Welcome to the forum!

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 05-04-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
RonWhitm

I bought my 05 used just last year and in Febuary this year had the same problem. It turned out to be a rusted cable at the lower end of the tube. I freed it with oil and patience and it works fine now. I keep an eye on it and oil it when I feel it tightening up, no problem. Good luck.
Ron
FSSNOC #4914
2005 GZ250
2004 Tomos LX

Old 05-05-2007, 08:01 AM   #4
Bill

Cables are just one of those maintanance items that just needs to be addressed every few years especially if the bike has been in the rain once in awhile. Some last a little longer than others without problems but eventually they need to be changed. As Dupo suggests - disconnect at the carb and make the check. If the carb is free then disconnect at the other end and check.

Cheers!
Old 05-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
enlgy

Re: Choke won't budge

After you free up the cable you might want to adjust the choke lever tension screw. It's located on the bottom of the switch assembly and as you loosen it you'll notice a real difference when moving the lever. Just don't loosen it too much or it won't have enough tension to stay in one place.

The choke switch was broken on my GZ when I bought it and the previous owner thought it was a good idea to tape, yes tape, the end of the choke cable to the handlebars. So I have to pull and hold the line until my bike warms up. Oh well

Old 06-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
GZ250

I had the same problem in my choke, Simple change the cable. Oiling wont work. It is just the rust.