Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-31-2007, 06:30 PM   #11
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobganoosh
Easy Rider: How would I go about with the by-pass test? Just remove the relay?
Oops, I spoke too soon. Like the ignition switch, this is not a simple switch and it would appear that you can't simply short 2 wires together to disable it.

Let's forget about the relay for a while, OK, since it is not the most likely culprit.

More likely is a failure in the switch itself (located behind the kick stand) or the wiring leading away from it.

To keep running, that silver plunger must be pushed in by the arm attached to the kickstand.......and the contacts inside the switch must be making good contact. Is the spring on the stand broken, stretched or missing? Is the arm that is supposed to push in the plunger bent or broken? Is the switch itself bent, damaged or loose? Is the pivot on the stand too tight and binding?

It everything looks OK mechanically, that is the plunger goes in pretty much all the way and looks like it will stay there, then I'd try flushing the switch (plunger) with some alcohol and compressed air.

Unfortunately those switches are in a bad place; they collect a lot of water and dirt. Once they start going bad, it is usually best to get a new one.

It will be good to have a meter but you might not need it this time around.

Good luck!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-31-2007, 08:16 PM   #12
bobganoosh

Easy Rider: You are the the man!!! :bow:

So I went out to have a look at the switch (sliver plunger) and noticed that one of the screws that holds it in place was missing. So when the side-stand is up, instead of pushing the plunger in, it was pushing it off to the side. I realigned the switch and replaced the missing screw... PRESTO!!!

I seriously owe you one as this has been driving me crazy! I would buy you a beer if Illinois was a little closer to Arizona :rawk:

And thank you to everyone else who put in their $.02 ... that's what makes this board the best place on earth for GZ help.

All in all, I feel a little sheepish for not figuring this out on my own, but I suppose I can't beat myself up too bad as this IS my first bike. What I am still curious about is why don't they have any diagrams or pictures of the silver plunger switch in the manual? Am I missing something?
Old 08-31-2007, 09:02 PM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobganoosh
Easy Rider: You are the the man!!! :bow:

I seriously owe you one as this has been driving me crazy! I would buy you a beer if Illinois was a little closer to Arizona :rawk:
Aw, shucks.......it warent nothin, really!! :blush: :blush:

Put the Coors on my account. I'll collect later.

Experience is the best teacher........that is, sometimes the guys who know the most are the ones who have made the most mistakes !!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-04-2007, 12:09 AM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Bobganoosh, good catch with the switch and thanks to Easyrider's suggestion you are on the road again.