Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 02-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #21
burkbuilds

Re: How many of people are still riding this winter?

I'm still riding daily although my trips now are usually in the 20 minute range instead of the two hour plus drives I was doing the last couple of years. It's been a mild Winter so far this season. I think it might have dropped into the mid 20's once or twice and upper 20's 5-10 times so far, but the afternoon highs have been mostly in the 50's. It's rainy today but mild and it's supposed to hit 67 degrees tomorrow. If this is the result of Global Warming, why is anyone complaining? Well, I gotta go spray some aerosol cans out into the atmosphere just in case it really does help with global warming. See you all later. lol.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #22
Gz Rider

Old 02-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #23
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

The sky isn't falling but something is different.
It's February 2nd and I haven't seen temperatures near 0 since it happened for 1 week at the end of December. That's weird.

That being said, please give me more of this!
It's going to be 67 today and I brought the bike into work this morning as it was a frigid 52 with fog. I didn't even need my scarf or my gloves. I just wore them out of habit.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #24
Gz Rider

Old 02-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #25
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I actually just read a very interesting chapter of a book about statements like "The moon is made of green cheese", where the argument is made that statements like those are scientific statements.
It's scientific because it can be falsified. It can tested and proven to be untrue. Any statement that can be falsified is a scientific statement.

So while it's an inaccurate statement, it is, indeed a scientific one.

Anyway, I'm one of the psycho nut bags that doesn't believe that global climate change is a farce. Although, I must also say that I'm not one of those sensational eco-pushers that thinks the world will end in 6 months if we don't all drive electric cars. (We should all drive electrics cars, but it's for a very different reason ) And I also know a piece of shit, green-product, ultra-liberal, profit hungry company or product when I see one. If the concern is genuinely to reduce consumption, create less waste and clean up the shit that we've made messy, then the last thing we need are MORE products and more choices. (Maybe that's my commie side talking again.)

Old 02-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #26
Gz Rider

Old 02-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #27
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
If anyone is to be considered a "psyco nutbag" on this it is probably me. I'm the one opposing the majority, I think.

The funny thing is I am more "green" than many that I know who would claim the green label. I grow some of my own food and I buy used whenever I can. The GZ itself should be declared the "Green Vehicle of the Future". Friends of mine while professing to be uber-green are buying new cars every 2-4 years, jetting off to europe, having children (probably the least green thing anyone can do-my apoligies to those with children, especially jon), buying a new cell phones, laptop, or whatever the new hot electronic device of the day is at least once a year and driving miles out of their way past "regular" grocery stores to get to the Whole Foods. All this while lecturing me about climate change.

What makes me green, for the record, is not a concern for the planet but my basic cheapness. I think true green items and thinking (not all) is cheap. However businesses have sprung up and tried (successfully) to convince people that the only way to be green is to spend money on whatever it is they are trying to sell. You have to buy hybrid cars that get average mileage, florescent bulbs that have mercury in them (I have plenty of these) and buy overpriced food from whole foods. To me "green" should be about less consumption not more.

Where are the advocates for home gardening? A 15 x 15 plot can grow alot of vegetables. Work with your neighbors. You grow Sugar snap peas, and they can grow lettuce and you can trade. No trucks, no stores, no taxes and almost no carbon footprint. The problem is, it doesn't line anyones pockets to think like that so no one will advance those ideas.
Dude, you're getting all kinds of :plus1: from me today

Part of being an eco-nut was trying to figure out how to fit having children into that worldview. I agree. If there anything on the planet more resource and labor intensive than more humans, I would like to hear about it. It's not an offensive thing. It's a fact. Population is absolutely ridiculous. At least a couple can have 1 or at most 2 kids and still balance the equation. More than that, and we're talking about increased expansion multiplied by a few billion. That makes all of our current problems only further compounded in the future. ("Compounded" can be used figuratively and literally here)

As far as being in the minority on climate change, that's the not the persepctive I get from where I live. I know that NC is somewhat more liberal than GA but you guys are still rather conservative compared to the rest of the nation. And the general consensus down here is that basically all of the eco science stuff is a brainwash technique thought up by the liberals to make profit on agendas that they push for. There certainly is some of that. But I don't think the political aspect of that negates the science that exists behind most of the eco-studies. I mean, without eco-science, we'd still be clear cutting forests in the south and wondering why we can't grow food anymore.... And some intelligent folks down here still argue for that practice because it's cheaper for the businesses and all that matters is more jobs, regardless of long term negative impact. It's so backwards.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #28
JWR

[attachment=1:d9x8t3v4]IMG_0335.JPG[/attachment:d9x8t3v4]

I am not trying to go Green, I am trying to burn all the fuel I can.

No Green over 5000 feet today.

[attachment=0:d9x8t3v4]IMG_0345.JPG[/attachment:d9x8t3v4]

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 02-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #29
Water Warrior 2

:lol: Yup, just keep burning those precious fossil fuels while you can. The sooner we run out the sooner we will all have small atomic power plants under the seat.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #30
Gz Rider