Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 01-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
one

winter storage - 6 weeks plus

can anyone provide some insight regarding winter storage? I will be keeping the bike in y garage, it might get to 40 but i would think it would stay in the 50's. Basically, I am asking about fuel stabilizer - how much fuel to keep in it, if I should put some oil in the cylinder, disconnect the battery keeeping it on a trickle charge, if the tires will develop flat spots, etc...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Six weeks is not long term storage in my opinion so here is what I would do. Take the battery out and store it in a warm place. Lower tire pressures to about 20 psi and just give the wheels a quarter turn every three weeks or so to prevent flat spots if that is a concern. Opinions are just opinions and I know others will pop up with other storage technics. Sift through them and make a choice that feels right to you.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:08 PM   #3
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Keep the tank full as possible. That way no condensation can develop in it. Only 6 weeks, doubt you will need to put oil in the cylinder. Trickle charger - good idea. Fuel stabilizer, add it before you fill the tank, drive it home so the stabil gets into the carbs. You can also shut off the fuel and let it die to empty the carb too. Doubt flat spots would be a concern in that short a time especially since it will be in a garage on concrete. If you have cats that roam around in your garage area, cover the top of the bike with towels - they like to sleep on bikes lol. A good wash and a very good waxing is also a good idea right before putting it in.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 01-07-2007, 06:18 AM   #4
Bill

I agree - a full tank with Stabil run through the lines is cheap insurance even if it is only stored for 6 weeks. If it is going to be in your garage and the temperatures are going to be that warm then you may want to take it out a few times when the weather is really nice. You wouldn't need to do anything else for the battery or tires. I don't think I could stand seeing my bike sitting if the weather was good and I had the time - even for just an hour. Just don't make the mistake of going out to the garage and cranking it up and letting it sit there. It would need to be ridden/moving enough to get all areas up to operating temperatures and circulate the fluids. Besides it will put a smile on your face. :yes:

Cheers!
Old 01-07-2007, 06:20 AM   #5
Badbob

I would consider using a battery keeper of some sort. They don't cost much and your battery will be charged when your ready to start the pike. I have a Black and Decker battery keeper that I like a lot. It comes withe a wiring kit you can connect permanently to a battery and just plug it in when the bike is parked. These are sold under several different names and you don't need one specifically for a motorcycle battery. I get concerned about any small battery that sits unused for any length of time. They don't last long under the best of conditions. I would not consider 40 degrees cold and I live in Florida. If its not going to get cold enough to freeze the battery I would leave it in the bike.

Fuel stabilizer is a good idea as well as the full tank of gas as well running it until it gets in the carburetor. I keep a good bit have gasoline around and use Sta-Bil in all of the gas cans and use a good bit of it in the bikes. Saves on lots of carburetor cleaning.

This might be a good time to lube everything although if it were mine I would not change the oil unless it was near time to do it any way. Six weeks isn't long enough for this to be an issue.

Expect the GZ250 to be a little harder to start after six weeks without running.

I think there are storage procedures in the GZ250 manual.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
oneyunguy

So what would I suggest to someone I know who didn't know much about a bike sitting around? The bike has sat for approximately 4-5 months (not ran in that time). They did take the battery out, but left a fair amount of gas in the tank (not totally full), They did not empty the oil and refill with new before sitting, and did nothing else but cover it outside.

I only told them to look for rust, this person has not enough knowledge to takr things apart and so-on.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-10-2007, 12:30 PM   #7
Dupo

I'd say use a flashlight and look in the tank for any signs of rust. Drain the tank and carbs completely and refill with new gas (put some seafoam in with the fresh gas, that will clean everything out). Check the tires for dryrot, check all cables for any binding, change oil and spark plugs, check chain for any dryness/rust and lube if necessary, put the battery on a tender and make sure its fully charged.... im sure i missed something lol.

4-5 months outside is a long time, hopefully the carbs dont need cleaning.

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 03-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #8
oneyunguy

Okay, thanks Dupo. What would be the easiest way to see if the carbs would need cleaning?
I will help drain the gas thats in the tank and take a good look at it.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:48 PM   #9
Dupo

No good way of 'seeing', but it'll run like crap lol. It'll sputter, stall, no power etc. Carbs gummed up isnt fun.

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 03-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #10
one

can the carb be gummed up and cleaned with an additive to the fuel opposed to being broken down and cleaned manually? or, with fresh fuel passing through will it clean itself?

this did not happen to me but i am curious?