Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Forum News & Support

Old 03-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: Etiquette & Guidelines Open Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I think the content control gets a bit heavy handed and as a result the board content tends to be homogenized and most of the contributions are from the same group of people.

(..... I understand many of these posters were morons, but live and let live.)

As a result, 80% of the posts, or more, are from the same 10 people (sadly, I am one of those 10.)

I have never run one of these that has had this much input for so long so maybe this is the way it has to be.
Fine example of talking yourself around in a circle !!! :biggrin:

It is true that 80% of the posts come from 10% of the users......in almost all open forums like this.

If the morons aren't kept in check, then 80% of the posts will be from, about and arguements between the morons. I don't think we want that, do we?

So, yes, it does kinda have to be that way. Take your pick: A moderated, civil forum that is somewhat boring or an un-moderated one that becomes dominated by those who can yell the loudest. The former tends to lose 10-20% of the new users because they get "censored". The latter tends to lose 80% of it's users because they get tired of the juvenile behavior real quick.

I prefer the first choice most of the time. There are other places that are free-for-all's if you prefer that kind of environment.

P.S. Dupo is gone mostly because he doesn't have a GZ anymore, I think, and BadBob rides more than he posts; I aspire to be more like BadBob !!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
mrlmd1

OK, enough. Let Patrick do his thing. He's doing a good job and we don't want him recalled or kicked out of office (yet). (Kidding). Those of us on here who do participate, whether it's 10 or 20 of us, sometimes have slightly different opinions and advice, but like I said before, we can all learn from each other, most of the time, if we keep our minds open to what somebody else has to say. And we all have to realize that sometimes somebody else has more expertise in a certain matter than we do ourselves. When I was learning the craft of surgery, scrubbing with numerous older, more experienced, senior surgeons as tutors and instructors, I always took away something valuable from each of them, and then combined them all into my own style. My style, me, was the best of all of them, in my opinion. We are doing the same thing here. And Patrick is doing a good , thankless, job. All of us should be happy how this has been going, all of us should say thanks instead of being so critical.
Badbob participates in the GZ 250 forum on Yahoo (more than on here), Dupo and Jonathan no longer have GZ's so maybe their interest has waned, or maybe the forum has become less appealing to them to participate with their input/expertise and WE have to ask why. Don't blame Patrick for this, for setting and enforcing the rules. WE are the forum. It's up to us to keep it interesting, appealing, and honest.
Just my opinion.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
Sarris

I applaud Dupo, Badbob, and now Pat for their patience and for doing a very tough job. But, I think this site, like most other popular sites, eventually gets taken over by the morons, and eventually dies or morphs into another form.

Most forums are merely a reflection of how society at large has digressed, and this one is no different. The economic downturn has forced a lot of people onto motorcycling and that has caused the memerbership to grow exponentially. A wider membership brings in the fringe. You used to not have to tell people to be respectful of others, nor tell them to handle personal issues on a personal level. And of course us old(er) bastards were taught how, and know pretty much how, to spell and punctuate. When I signed on (a couple days after Easy Rider) the biggest issue was the uncomfortable seat, how to make the bike run at it's best, and a few repair issues. We had and solved a few personality issues, and we knew every one of the regular posters.

Todays GZ250Bike site is a different animal from the site I enrolled in. I miss the "old" sense of communty we had. Another societal reflection............

Old 03-09-2009, 01:09 AM   #14
mr. softie

One of the best things about the GZ250 is how reliable and trouble free it is. This limits posts on troubles. One of the worst things about the GZ250 is the lack of aftermarket accessories, which limits posts on upgrades and mods etc. Then we have the limited ability of the GZ250 as a touring bike, which cuts down on the ride and trip reports. And when was the last racing tweak performed on a GZ250? In other words, what are we supposed to post about anyway? How many people are GZ250 fanatics, or stay that way long? Besides a few of us that is.

The GZ250 is usually a "beginners" bike, so a lot of owners aren't savvy when it comes to the regular maintainance and upkeep required on any motorcycle. A motorcycle demands a lot more attention to keep it safe and reliable than a car, and this board offers a wealth of GZ250 specific information for the new or inexperienced rider. I applaud everyone who has contributed to this knowledge base as a true hero of the GZ riding public!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
The GZ250 is usually a "beginners" bike, so a lot of owners aren't savvy when it comes to the regular maintainance and upkeep required on any motorcycle. A motorcycle demands a lot more attention to keep it safe and reliable than a car, and this board offers a wealth of GZ250 specific information for the new or inexperienced rider. I applaud everyone who has contributed to this knowledge base as a true hero of the GZ riding public!

:plus1:

I've always thought of what the experienced riders do on here as a sort of public service, not unlike the guys who run the MSF courses. I know I appreciate it.

Keith