Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 12-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
rhardcore

Question New problem I haven't found on the forum, bike won't start, please help.

2009 GZ250

I have read through numerous threads and this one seems to be new. Thank you for everyone because I had a lot of things I was able to try before posting.

It started with the 10 A fuse that runs the tail light, dash cluster, and signal lights always burning out. After a lot of frustration, I seem to have narrowed it down to a physical location.

When the fuse would be fine and the bike running, I could sometimes burn it out by simply reving the engine. Then I noticed something else. I was able to repeated pop the fuse by turning the handlebars all the way to the right with the bike running. I seemed to have found my target area.

The bike was running fine. To buy some time while I scheduled taring apart the front of the bike, I bought a 10 AMP circuit breaker from amazon.com. It was supposed to be auto resetting. It failed miserably. I may as well have put a paperclip in the fuse location. It allowed the main 20 AMP fuse to blow near the battery. After replacing the 20 AMP fuse, the bike won't start.

The bike ignition comes on, it cranks very strong, there is fuel moving through the carb's bowl. I have spark when I pull the plug and hold it near the engine block. The air filter is clean. Of course, none of this should matter because the bike started and ran fine before the 20 AMP fuse was blown out by a un-fused short in the 10 AMP that runs the taillights, cluster, and running lights.

Can anyone please help? I would like to sell this bike, but I want it to be in tip-top shape without any surprises to the next owner.

Thank you,
Raymond

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Ouch...........the circuit breaker was a poor idea overall.

Start by removing the tank and setting it aside. Inspect all the wiring along the frame and pay particular attention to the wiring and harness where it flexes when you turn the bars. That is a good clue to the problem.
You may as well look inside the headlight bucket for frayed wires too. They tend to suffer from wear due to vibration over the years.
Throwing a handful of fuses at the bike may well make the problem worse. You need a meter and a test light to track down the problem. Be patient and don't count out something trivial that may look good. Make sure all connections are snug and all ground wires are tight and not corroded. Trouble shooting electrical is just a process of elimination so don't get frustrated............................that's my downfall in most cases. Good luck and keep us updated with your progress.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
rhardcore

Thank you for the response. I pulled the head light housing off before trying the breaker. There weren't any visible issues with the wires in there. I do still think it is in the triple tree somewhere though. I don't mind the 10 AMP fuse to the taillight popping for now. I can always trace that down later.

I can't figure out why the bike won't start now. It doesn't need that fuse to run. I tried pulling other components one at a time that I would think would make a difference to the starting. My thought was that if I pull it and it doesn't make a visible difference, then I was wrong about it being necessary for starting or it is hosed. So, I pulled the ignition fuse, the main relay under the seat, and the main 20 AMP fuse one at a time. All of these completely shut down the bike and prevented any cranking. So, they are all doing what they are supposed to.

Can you think of anything that could have been fried that would keep it from starting even though the battery is great, I have fuel, air, and spark?

Also, there seems to be a lot of stuff in the plug wire if you unscrew the metal connector that attaches to the plug. Is that all necessary? I think I may have lost a little clear plastic washer if I saw it correctly as it fell from my hands. That happened after it already wasn't starting and I was troubleshooting.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Start with the simple stuff. Check the wiring from the tail light all the way through the wiring harness. Look for any damage to the wiring and the insulation. It may be something simple like a bit of missing insulation due to stuff flinging off the rear tire and hitting the wiring under the rear fender. Eliminate that first. Likely it is in the steering head area but you have to start somewhere. Just work your way forward.
I'm out of any new ideas for now but don't dispair.
Hmm. Were there any modifications done to the bike in the past? Different signals added, driving lights or even different bulbs other than OEM stuff?
Old 12-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
raul10141964

You may have 2 different problems, one the short circuit burning the fuse and other mechanical that prevent the engine from start like bad spark plug, low compression, etc.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
blaine

I'm wondering if the Circuit breaker May have caused a "surge" that may have damaged ECM??

Tags
starting fuse electrical