Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 05-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
mole2

Re: motorcycle vs scooter helmets, is there a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Go to webbikeworld for some excellant product reports with real world results. HJC also makes some good helmets with interior visors. You might also consider the suggestion of sunglasses. Clip-ons for your present glasses or even transition lenses next time. Experience has taught me to get the stuff that works best and not settle for an almost good enough item.
Transition lenses are so inexpensive now that I would not even consider glasses without them. They are my sunglasses when riding and work well behind the helmet shield.

:rawk:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-18-2010, 05:19 AM   #12
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2

Transition lenses are so inexpensive now that I would not even consider glasses without them. They are my sunglasses when riding and work well behind the helmet shield.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm - I've found just the opposite. Mine won't work at all behind my clear visor, or car windshield. It might be interesting to ask my optician, next time I go in, why some work & some don't. :??:
Old 05-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #13
blaine

I have had photo-grey in my lens for 35 years.Relative cheap to get added to lens.(around 30 dollars).They work well in the car or behind a shield.What if anything is the advantage of the newer "transition" lens.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #14
mrlmd1

My transitions work just fine behind the full face shield as well as in the car, and all the ones I've had over the past 10 years or more have worked that way. If it doesn't work behind your visor it has something to do with the visor blocking out UV or a different formulation of the lenses.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #15
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
What if anything is the advantage of the newer "transition" lens.
It just means that they get progressively darker, the sunnier it gets. That way (theoretically!) they're never too light or dark. Then, at night, or on dull days, they stay completely clear. I, for one, wouldn't want to ride at night with ANY tint. I'm too scared of missing things in the shadows.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #16
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
It just means that they get progressively darker, the sunnier it gets. That way (theoretically!) they're never too light or dark. Then, at night, or on dull days, they stay completely clear. I, for one, wouldn't want to ride at night with ANY tint. I'm too scared of missing things in the shadows.
My old "photo-grey lens work exactly the same way.So no advantage? Just a marketing ploy of something thats been around for years under a different name.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #17
alantf

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My old "photo-grey lens work exactly the same way.So no advantage? Just a marketing ploy of something thats been around for years under a different name.
Ah - my mistake! I thought you meant that they had a permanent tint that didn't change, but stayed ALWAYS tinted.

One of the good things that I've found, is that the modern lenses change MUCH quicker than the ones I had years ago. :2tup:
Old 05-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Quote:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm - I've found just the opposite. Mine won't work at all behind my clear visor, or car windshield. It might be interesting to ask my optician, next time I go in, why some work & some don't. :??:
That would be due to face shield material, it's ability to stop UV and then the type of transitions you are wearing. I did have one combo of items that turned almost everything pink.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #19
Joel K-Man

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Go to webbikeworld for some excellant product reports with real world results. HJC also makes some good helmets with interior visors. You might also consider the suggestion of sunglasses. Clip-ons for your present glasses or even transition lenses next time. Experience has taught me to get the stuff that works best and not settle for an almost good enough item.

Contacts, baby! :tongue:
Old 03-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #20
mole2

[quote=Joel K-Man]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Water Warrior":1m3le2rr

Contacts, baby! :tongue:[/quote:1m3le2rr]

That's the next step for me. I see my eye doctor in May so I'll ask for a prescription then.