Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-24-2012, 01:23 AM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: Temperatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2
It's been in the mid 80's to low 90's here with 78% humidity for a few days. Hot. This is the weather where I shed the jacket but keep everything else. If I want to ride that's the way I have to do it. I see riders all the time in shorts, bare chested and flip flops. I won't do that.

Have you ever considered one of the dirt bike types of armored mesh get ups? They have elbow and shoulder protection while remaining mostly a see through piece of gear. More exotic models have back and chest protection but are very breathable and cool.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
dentheman

It's supposed to get up to 99 here today. Might as well be 100 as far as I am concerned. I now ride in the evenings, starting around sunset, when it has cooled a little.
One thing I have noticed is at dusk it remains hot in the city, but when I hit the country roads going through pastures or crops it is noticeably cooler, almost like a slap in the face it is so noticeable. Unfortunately, bugs also like those cooler areas so I come home with plenty of bug remains.
I have found that my modular helmet is no hotter than my 3/4 with faceshield. The chin vent directs a good stream of air over my face and through the helmet. That air feels cooler than the outside, and if I am moving slowly or stopped, opening the faceshield a bit works well.
I have a mesh fabric jacket that has shoulder and elbow armor as well as back and kidney area padding. It is a Tourmaster that has the removeable non-mesh outer jacket and the removeable inner quilt lining, I have not used either of those. I think the mesh keeps me a bit cooler in the sun than a T-shirt and bare arms. After the sun goes down the mesh doesn't make much difference over bare skin, but it does provide the added armor/padding protection.
Finally, my bike doesn't like hot weather either. It sometimes doesn't want to shift into first gear when it has been ridden at highway speed during a hot day. Once the oil gets very hot I guess. On cooler days or lower speeds I never have that problem.

Also, I am looking into getting one of those cooling vests that is 'charged' by soaking in water, to wear under the mesh.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2
It's been in the mid 80's to low 90's here with 78% humidity for a few days. Hot. This is the weather where I shed the jacket but keep everything else. If I want to ride that's the way I have to do it. I see riders all the time in shorts, bare chested and flip flops. I won't do that.

Have you ever considered one of the dirt bike types of armored mesh get ups? They have elbow and shoulder protection while remaining mostly a see through piece of gear. More exotic models have back and chest protection but are very breathable and cool.
I have one here and have been using it. Problem is when it gets into the 90's even that is hot. Soon we'll be getting regular 80-90%+ humidity and that's when it's impossible to wear it. Yes, I know it raises the risk factor but for me I'm willing to shed the jacket.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

I can relate somewhat to the high humidity/ high temps you are having. In 2007 I was in Tenn and N.C. for the July 4th weekend. Crap was that an eye opener. Riding a rented KLR 650 with a cooling fan constantly blowing hot air made for an experience not to be repeated.
Oddly enough my Vstrom never blows hot air at me even when the temps get way up there. Once I get my vented gear just right a ride can be very pleasant. It can get high in humidity here but not nearly as nasty as that hot weekend. Might have something to do with the proximity to the Pacific Ocean and salt air.
I know most folks here might consider me a little bit of a safety nut but I certaintly can't find much fault with anyone trying to avoid heat stroke. You do what you gotta do. Just try to stay upright and in control.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
Skunkhome

It was 103 here today with a dew point of 64 degrees. The wet bulb was 109.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Close the doors and crank up the AC.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #17
Skunkhome

I was working on a bridge today out in the direct sun. After five hours out there my brain was cooked and I was soaked with sweat.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #18
Rookie Rider

Thats dangerous.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:46 AM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Dangerous enough to be fatal. Take care.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #20
bonehead

109 yesterday in Austin-all time high. And it WAS hot on the bike.