Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #21
mr. softie

Re: Rusted exhaust bolts

What Easy Rider said... I agree.

My pipes were leaking at the head, and I tightened them to no effect, as the gaskets were bad. So I needed to install new gaskets to prevent the leak. If yours are not leaking, by all means leave them alone.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-10-2009, 10:34 PM   #22
Canuck

Fair enough ! Problem is solved thanks fellas
Old 03-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #23
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck
Fair enough ! Problem is solved thanks fellas
FYI Dont worry about those bolts. like it has been said above, If it aint broke.... I visually inspect mine every time I change my oil. I got my bike with 3,200 mi. on it and up until I had my head gasket replaced at 10,700 mi. Those bolts hadn't been touched. Like yours mine were corroded and wouldn't budge the one time I tried to move them(shortly after I got the bike).

For future reference if you do need to get those bolts off, it's the thermal cycling that breaks the bolts loose. I learned this after shearing many a bolt off a 40 year old VW. It may take 20-30 or more heat cycles. I always start with letting some penetrating oil soak in for at least a day. then heat, blast with penetrating oil to cool, then gently trying to loosen. I picked up an impact screw driver from Harbor freight for a couple bucks. It the heating doesn't work I gently tap on the impact driver and it's amazing how often it works when I think there is no hope. Do not confuse this with an air powered impact gun. the impact screw driver works by converting the blow of a hammer to a rotation. The compression and shock of the blow on the bolt's threads is what breaks it lose or so a mechanic once told me. I dunno they just work.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #24
Water Warrior 2

The good old manual impact driver is great. Have had mine for 30+ years. You can take something apart or put it together with confidence that it will stay put together. Even Alan could master one. lol. :lol:
Old 03-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #25
mrlmd1

Hold on - it's not that easy to use. You have to be sure which way it's set, to tighten or loosen with the hammer blow. There are 2 choices, 2 settings. So he would need a tutor or a good set of instructions. :poke2: :lol:

Old 03-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #26
alanmcorcoran

Or he could just pay someone else to fix it while he is out riding his other bike. If they are really rusty, he could just dispense with the tool and buy a new bike.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #27
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Hold on - it's not that easy to use. You have to be sure which way it's set, to tighten or loosen with the hammer blow. There are 2 choices, 2 settings. So he would need a tutor or a good set of instructions. :poke2: :lol:
You are so correct. Forgot the 2 settings and only a 50/50 chance of getting it right. Also, Alan could practice on the Liner so he doesn't get it wrong on the GZ. lol.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #28
alanmcorcoran

Yup, dumbass here has two near pristine bikes in the garage in perfect working order, both running like tops, with all scheduled maintenance done. Riding the GZ to work everyday and the Strat on the weekends, averaging about 6K a year in riding miles.

But I sure wish I had more time to take things apart, buy "special" tools and search for cheap parts on the Internet!

(Actually, there's a little buzz on the GZ where the National Cycle windshield is vibrating against the triple clamp. May get out my trusty flat head and tackle that one of these nights!)
Old 03-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #29
kaput

Send a message via MSN to kaput

I replaced my gaskets the other day and 1 of my old rusty bolt heads broke off!!

Luckily I was able to remove it with my vice grips.

These bots are NOT hardened steel!

I picked up 4 new stainless steel ones with allen wrench heads on them at the local hardware store. Easier to tighten and way stronger.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:38 PM   #30
mr. softie

My bad kaput... thought they were hardened. Glad your vice grips worked! Good idea on the new bolts. Did you use anti-seize compound on them?