Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 12-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: No Lights, No sound, No NOTHING

Well it appears you have eliminated the solenoid as the problem. I would suggest backtracking the wiring to the solenoid for a fault of some sort.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippy
When I turn the key on, no light come on at all. If I jump the solenoid, all the lights come on at that time and the bike works normally. Starter switch won't do anything.
This is a strange combination of symptoms; VERY strange.

Is all that happening with just the on-board battery ??

If so, I think you are looking at a bad connection somewhere; main cables, either end OR a loose connection inside the battery itself.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #13
alantf

What I can't understand is how the lights come on when he shorts out the solenoid terminals. Surely, this particular circuit goes to the starter only. I agree that the coil circuit in the solenoid (interrupted by the starter switch), & the lights might come on with the ignition, but surely, the solenoid terminals that feed the starter, go ONLY to the starter. Or am I missing the point completely when he says he "jumped the solenoid"? :??:

EDIT :- I've just checked out the service manual. Sure enough, the starter circuit (solenoid) & the lighting circuit are completely separate. When you say that you "jumped the solenoid", do you mean that you ran a cable from the battery to the solenoid. If that's what you meant, it's starting to make sense. The fact that two separate circuits (lights & starter) went out, points to the main battery fuse failing. The starter takes 80 amps, so it looks like the main cable to the starter motor is still intact. Have you checked the fuses? I still can't understand the lights coming back on, but it could be that they're being fed straight from the charging system. If the ignition was "on", power would flow directly to the other circuits, as well as the battery.
So.....like I said. check for fuses, connections etc, because it's starting to look like a break between battery & everything else. A voltmeter is a MUST. (BTW, check the fuses by removing them, one by one, & testing across the fuses with your meter set to ohms. Don't just look at the fuses) :2tup:

Old 12-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
What I can't understand is how the lights come on when he shorts out the solenoid terminals.
Is there an echo in here ?? :biggrin:

It is called a "high resistance" open, meaning that it isn't completely open but there is enough extra resistance that the low current devices don't work........until you ZAP it with the high starter demand and then the partial open closes up.......for a while.

That's the only thing I can think of that makes any sense.

Then again, there may be a piece of the puzzle missing too.
Often some little fact that the OP doesn't think is important turns out to be the key.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #15
dentheman

I am not electrictly inclined, but wonder if jumping the solenoid bypasses the ignition switch? If so, would the ignition switch (or a wire to it) be the problem?

Old 12-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #16
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
I am not electrictly inclined, but wonder if jumping the solenoid bypasses the ignition switch? If so, would the ignition switch (or a wire to it) be the problem?
Yes but not likely. If the switch was really bad.......it would then stop running when the jumper was removed. Something is intermittant; could well be the switch.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:41 AM   #17
Water Warrior 2

Just for curiousity are you using the bike battery or another battery to jump the starter ?
Old 12-10-2010, 05:17 AM   #18
alantf

Check the wiring diagrams (like I did) then tell me if my suggestion makes sense. As an electrician of many years (although admittedly not an auto electrician) my reading & understanding of the circuit diagrams (note that I use the Plural) seems to point to what I said - although I could be wrong. That's why I want a second opinion.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #19
alantf

[attachment=1:105kavge]Untitled-1.jpg[/attachment:105kavge][attachment=0:105kavge]2.jpeg.jpg[/attachment:105kavge]

If the 20 amp fuse is o.k. try switching the red kill switch on & off a few times. Sometimes, when mine won't start, that's all it takes. (kill switch = engine stop switch)
Old 12-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #20
flippy

Hey everyone,
Did some checks and going with the side stand relay, since everything passes through it. found the manual and what I understand, it has to be it. Going to buy a new battery and side stand relay and see what happens. Still looking for help because I'm not sure what's going on.
If anyone can help, looking for it.
Thank you