Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-31-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
vikz250

CAUTION LOOSE GRAVEL AND SAND!!.

Well hello folks!! haven't been here for awhile but happy to tell you guys that my GeeZee is almost 3,000 miles now!! :rawk: :rawk: Got it last year with just 6 miles so yah I have been riding a little bit!..Anyway on my way to work today on my normal route I saw this signs: caution fresh oil, caution loose gravel and sand and my favorite MOTORCYCLES USE EXTREME CAUTION! (as if we don't know that) anyway so I thought they are just doing minor repair like fixing the cracks or what not so i just keep going, but then I suddenly noticed that they are repaving the whole road and its literally sand and gravel!! for about quarter mile and its all down hill and I ,mean steep down hill, with an extra hair pin turn on the side! I'm like oh crap!! :cuss: ! i literally crawled to 5 to 10 mph because I can feel the instability of the tires!..anyway got down that road in one piece and just told my self "yah i'm not taking that road EVER!! Until they are done fixing it!!..man! that was SCARY for me!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-31-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: CAUTION LOOSE GRAVEL AND SAND!!.

only thing that would have made it better would have been if they covered a grater bridge with grease, sand, gravel and marbles.

Glad to hear you made it down in one piece. I hate that stuff.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Give yourself a pat on the back. You survived without mishap.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
vikz250

Water warrior thanks man but the whole time it felt like my tires will slip sooner or later and I can imagine me just sliding down hill, I just pulled the clutch in and told myself calm down and just focus..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Give yourself a pat on the back. You survived without mishap.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I think it's safer to keep it in gear, actually. If you have to correct or force traction, it's better to already have a low gear selected that you can use instantaneously.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
mrlmd1

If you're going straight ahead with the steering straight you don't have to worry as much as you did, but for the first time, that's expected. And sometimes going VERY slow is actually harder and more dangerous than just a little bit faster as the bike is more stable at a little speed because of the gyroscopic effects of the spinning wheels and is easier to balance. Just loosen up, let the bike do it's thing, don't hang on with a death grip and overcompensate for every little wiggle in the road.
Glad you made it. Now try it on a turn.
Just remember going slow around a sharp or tight turn - DO NOT apply the front brake or you will go down. Part of the cause may be the slippery road with gravel, sand, or anything else you want to blame, the rest, and the main reason, is the geometry of the steering and the laws of physics (or, in other words - operator error).
And you're going ATGATT right? Just think what all that sand. gravel. hot asphalt would have done to your skin.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
Plavanchy

I hate it when they do the old fashioned oil and gravel pave job-takes a couple weeks to pack it down