Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 09-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
New GZ250

Re: Need help Ran bike dri!!! OF OIL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir
Trust me if money was no problem I would have started wil a 650 or 800 but insurance per year is just crazy!!! It was about the same as my bike!!!!
But you have free heath care! :neener:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-13-2009, 11:02 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by New GZ250
Quote:
Trust me if money was no problem I would have started wil a 650 or 800 but insurance per year is just crazy!!! It was about the same as my bike!!!!
Free health Care is really a myth that most folks believe. We just pay for it differently in another government tax. Personal income tax is a way to get health care monies for the government so they can dole out a little at a time while seeking re-election.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #13
New GZ250

[quote=Water Warrior]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "New GZ250":2g2kzmeg
Quote:
Free health Care is really a myth that most folks believe. We just pay for it differently in another government tax. Personal income tax is a way to get health care monies for the government so they can dole out a little at a time while seeking re-election.[/quote:2g2kzmeg]

I understand being an Alien from Canada and living in California! Love those Canadians, and the relatives too!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
What you guys think?
Sad to say but............
The little bike was built to be a "cruiser".
My opinion is that in your situation, you probably have the wrong bike.
With that long a ride every day, I don't think you are going to be happy with it for long.......especially when if you realize that running it at 70 mph most of the time will probably shorten it's life considerably.

I think your current problem, however, is probably just a fluke of some kind. Even those who have come here and reported that they beat them to death didn't seem to have trouble until they got over 20,000 miles.

I wish you luck with the repairs. I'm more inclined to guess that it is the "bottom end" (bearings) that are shot.....maybe cam shaft bearings too.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:29 AM   #15
Easy Rider

Quote:
Is there a "cutoff" point, price wise, for smaller dispacements??
My company said theirs is 600......or at least there is ONE at 600.
Threre are a few models available in the 500-600 cc range that are road worthy.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Insurance is a real crap shoot in Canada. Some provinces have government insurance that is a must have and others just let private ins companies do the deed. Provincial ins will cost more and give less in return but also insures everyone on the road is insured. You must purchase your insurance with your registration at the same time. I have the minimun gov insurance and have private ins to cover all the rest for the bike. Having private coverage for fire, theft and collision will save me approx $300 a year.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #17
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Have you actually tried starting the bike again with oil in it?

I don't see how you burned through a whole engine's worth of oil in such a short time span.

How long has it been, both miles and Gregorian time, since you did the oil change?

I ask because I checked my sister-in-law's bike 3 times the other day and I could NOT get an oil reading of any kind (I would bet money that the bike was devoid of oil). Then, after walking the bike a few feet forward, everything registered like normal.
To be honest, I have no idea what was going on.

Now, I know that you explained the symptoms of what happened when you pulled into the gas station parking lot, but I've never experienced an engine sieze while running. They usually wait until they are stopped and then won't get started again.

If it is as you have said and your motor is shot, then you might want to consider the cost of having a shop perform a rebuild. Labor and whatever else they throw in will probably put you out about as much dough as it would to buy an engine and install it yourself. You'll just have to do some research on that front.

Also, I have to second everyone else's advice regarding putting off maintenance. If it is as bad as you say, then you waited WAAAY too long to check on it. The bike was probably giving you signs that something was going on and you ignored it....
shame. shame.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #18
RamAir

jonathan180iq thank you for your imput but the motor stopped when I pulled in the gas station I let off the gas and the engine just stopped. so sorry you are right it did not seaze up it just got way to hot to ideal! You must understand that for two days I rode it to school full throtle 2 hors one way 2 hours they way home going 120kph alll the way to 140 kph (down hill with tail wind and so on)

Also I just bought a $600cnd used engine with just about the same milege. Started takin the old motor off broke a few screws on the exhost but oh well and do I need to use a type of lock tight?
All the info I can get from you guys on an engine swap would be great. I have downloaded the manuels from this site just to let you all know.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Experience with cages and a little with bikes has taught me a bit. Start off with a camera and take pics all the way through the R+R. Small containers for nuts, bolts, clips and assorted stuff. A well lighted work area is a must have item. Blue Loktite is what you want for fasteners. When in doubt about something just sit back and look at it, sometimes the easiest little fitting or doo dad is the most baffling of all. Clean as you go, dirty parts are a PITA to deal with but the cleaning while removing will make the assembly more familiar after the removal. Some type of penetrating fluid for bolt removal. Zip ties, you will need them, trust me. A stool or box to sit on, kneeling pad for the knees and a boat load of patience. One item at a time, try to be methodical in the R+R. Keep us updated with the process.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #20
RamAir

Thank you Warrior I am just about to head down now and continue! Ill let you huys know how it goes!