Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 09-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #21
Fausto

Re: Failed Emissions test- CO was too high. What now?

Hey folks, here is an update.
I replaced the vacume hose and tiny clamps. Installed inline filter. Sprayed hoses with WD-40 while running and noticed no difference in sound. While the GZ was running I switched the petcock to run and a few min later it turned off and I noticed the fuel filter was dry.
I found the other vacume hose that runs down from the air box. Should that have a cap at the end? Cause it does.
I dont know what to do next. Is it my petcock that is bad?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #22
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

The standard GZ petcock shouldn't have an OFF, IIRC. PRI-RUN-RES should be what you see.
If it's not running on RUN, then you have a vacuum problem. Even if you can get it started on PRI, which is straight flow, it won't last long because there isn't enough propert vacuum from the engine to the carb sucking gas down as needed. It sounds like someone previously replaced the petcock trying to sort this mess out. I would just order a factory petcock (or maybe send us a picture of what you have) and redo the whole thing. You're talking about a very simple install, 2 vacuum hoses and a gas line.

Oh, and ...If the fuel filter was dry and the bike was running, then you have put the fuel filter on the wrong hose. I can't really see any other way that could happen. Even with using PRI to get it started, you should have seen the fuel flowing and filling that thing up after the float bowl was filled.

I have seen people put filters on a vacuum hose before and never even know it.

The hose from the bottom of the air box should have a cap on it, yes.
It's a drain for junk that gets in there. Pull the plug every now and then to keep it clean. If you've never done that, then give it a whirl.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #23
Fausto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
The standard GZ petcock shouldn't have an OFF, IIRC. PRI-RUN-RES should be what you see.
If it's not running on RUN, then you have a vacuum problem. Even if you can get it started on PRI, which is straight flow, it won't last long because there isn't enough propert vacuum from the engine to the carb sucking gas down as needed. It sounds like someone previously replaced the petcock trying to sort this mess out. I would just order a factory petcock (or maybe send us a picture of what you have) and redo the whole thing. You're talking about a very simple install, 2 vacuum hoses and a gas line.

Oh, and ...If the fuel filter was dry and the bike was running, then you have put the fuel filter on the wrong hose. I can't really see any other way that could happen. Even with using PRI to get it started, you should have seen the fuel flowing and filling that thing up after the float bowl was filled.

I have seen people put filters on a vacuum hose before and never even know it.

The hose from the bottom of the air box should have a cap on it, yes.
It's a drain for junk that gets in there. Pull the plug every now and then to keep it clean. If you've never done that, then give it a whirl.
jonathan180iq, you missunderstood what I said completely. The GZ quit running after a few minutes of running in the "run" postition on the petcock. The inline fuel filter has an arrow that indicates in which direction the fuel runs. When in the prime position the fuel filter fills up with fuel, so there is no possible way the fuel filter is connected to the vacume line. I kindly thank you for trying to help.
I will drain out the hose from the air box.
Now that the lines have been replaced and tested what is next? Replacing the petcock or rebuilding it?

Old 09-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #24
Way

I'm not an expert by any means but I suppose that's never stopped anyone from commenting. :tongue:

In looking over your posts, let's see if we can't at least follow what's been done:

1. it would only idle, would die when throttle applied

2. Pulled carb, cleaned needles. Clogged with tar-like substance

3. Ran fine, failed emissions

4. Had to tighten carb as it was not secured properly.

5. Adjusted pilot jet. Had more problems after.

You are still having a fuel flow problem it appears. The bike runs fine in the prime position correct? That means that the fuel filter is pointing in the right direction. So the filter should be fine.

You sprayed WD-40 on the vacuum hoses and nothing happened. The vacuum hoses should be fine. The petcock may or may not be bad but you haven't necessarily isolated that as the cause yet. The fact that you get flow in prime shows there's flow through the orifice.

You may still have a vacuum leak at the carb base.

You cleaned the carb but then found it hadn't been secured properly.

What is the condition of the carb gasket? I've never taken off the vacuum hose from the crankcase but how did it look inside the end where it enters the engine? If you had a tar-like substance in the carb, maybe you had some at the other end where the vacuum tube enters the motor? It sure sounds like you still have gunk somewhere. Nothing floating around in the gas tank?

Just some thoughts to help you. Hope you get it straightened out.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #25
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Thanks for the clarification. Re-reading it, I see my mistake.

The major point still stands though, which I think you got. There is an issue with vacuum not pulling gas in RUN.
If a replacement petcock is cheap, I would save yourself the hassle and just slap a new one on there.

A complete one is $81 from Ronayers.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #26
Fausto

Way & Jonathan- thank you so much for your help.

I'll remove the carb check the gasket and dissasemble the petcock. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Maybe include pix if I get a chance. Thank you again!
Old 09-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #27
Way

No problem friend, hope it works out to be something easy and cheap for you.

I was kind of looking around online and saw a suggestion where someone said to attach a piece of tubing to the vacuum fitting on the back of the petcock and apply suction to it. The fuel outlet of course going into a cup. If you get flow while applying suction then you have a vacuum problem. If not, the petcock is bad. Have you tried both the "run" and "reserve" positions? If it runs on reserve but not on run, you may have some gunk in there. I hate to see you throw parts at the problem if it's something that can be fixed cheap. I guess I fixated on the tar issue. :retard:
Old 09-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #28
Fausto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way
No problem friend, hope it works out to be something easy and cheap for you.

I was kind of looking around online and saw a suggestion where someone said to attach a piece of tubing to the vacuum fitting on the back of the petcock and apply suction to it. The fuel outlet of course going into a cup. If you get flow while applying suction then you have a vacuum problem. If not, the petcock is bad. Have you tried both the "run" and "reserve" positions? If it runs on reserve but not on run, you may have some gunk in there. I hate to see you throw parts at the problem if it's something that can be fixed cheap. I guess I fixated on the tar issue. :retard:
Thanks Wayne, I'll definitley try that. It sounds way easier than removing the and dissambling the carb again. This will eliminate the possiblity of the petcock being bad before dissambling it. I appreciate your fixation on the gunk...lol- It is something I should have considered.
I will be working on it this weekend so I'll report back again. Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #29
Fausto

Here is my progress- Checked the petcock by placing it on run and applying suctions with a hose. The gas flowed freely, issue is not with the petcock. I replaced the vacuum hose that goes from the carb to the petcock, used a small zip tie instead of the wire type clamp. And that seemed to fix that issue. The bike can run all day with the petcock set to run or reserve.
Next issue is, which was the original issue, passing emissions. I started by removing the carb and cleaning it with some carb cleaner. I turned the pilot just till it was seated, and then turned it counter clock wise 2 turns. I noticed the pilot screw adjusts a small needle like pin. I also noticed the bottom of the carb has 2 caps, I just happened to unscrew the outer most cap and not the other one. The reason I mention this is when I installed the carb back on the bike, I tried adjusting the pilot screw, while the bike was running and hot and I noticed absolutely no change at all. I turned it clock wise till it stopped and the bike did nothing, then turned it counter clock wise till it stopped and the bike did nothing. Did I uncap the wrong screw? And have been adjusting the wrong screw altogether?

Should I uncap the other one and try again? If so, where should the other screw be set at? 1 turn, 2 turns or seated completely? Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #30
blaine

If you are getting no change when adjusting,you are either on the wrong screw or your idle circuit is completely plugged. when you remove the idle mixture screw there should be a spring & o-ring on the screw.make sure you don't loose them.The mixture jet is pointed on the end.It should be set at 2 turns out to start than adjusted with the bike running.Jet should look like 3rd one in pic.

:cool: