Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
jwhyte

Grin No Spark condition solved

My son recently bought an 00 GZ250 as his first bike and we could not get this darn thing to spark no matter what I tested. This poor thing was crippled when I bought it. Had to get a new front caliper and line ( as they were missing ), hot-wired the ignition ( as it was also missing ), new battery and other minor parts. I tested every possible component on the bike in order to get it to spark and could not find a single reason it should not be working aside from the CDI. I was about ready to lay out a lot of money for a CDI when I came across a post somewhere about a theft system in the ignition switch itself. So, I researched that and could find very little information about what it was in the ignition switch that was used as the anti-theft component. I found that there is a simple resistor that the CDI uses to prevent spark in case of hot-wire. More research and I found this thread: http://forums.13x.com/index.php?thre...race-trim.186/

Granted, it is for a different bike, but I thought "What the heck, I'll try it and if it doesn't work I'm only out $1.79." Well I bought the resistors (as they only come in packs ) and attached one between the O/Y and B/W wires from the ignition harness, held my breath and pressed the start button. There was SPARK!! So this now solves my no spark issue and I am certain that if I bought a non-OEM ignition switch I would still have a no spark condition. This is something that can easily go bad without showing any sign what so ever, so check the resistance on O/Y and B/W on the switch if you suddenly have no spark and add this to the list of troubleshooting ideas.

So in summary:

The resistor is a 100 ohm, .5 watt, 5% tolerance, connected between the O/Y and B/W wires in the ignition switch harness.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Trouble shooting at it's finest. Well done Sir.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
351 power

Thanks for the information. Would you be able to put in a picture of the fix?

Login or Register to Remove Ads