Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 03-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
tudorv

Where to order parts from? Please help!

Hi everyone,

Been to the mechanic with my newly purchased GZ and the diagnosis hit me like a hammer. It seems I need some major work on the engine. I live in Romania and buying engine parts here is difficult. So I ask you guys, where could I order this stuff online that would ship internationally?
Here's what I need:
- Bottom end piston rebuild kit (crankshaft, rod, bearings, etc)
- Gearbox bearings (don't know which ones or how they're called, but will find out)
- some other not-so-urgent stuff

I want new parts (not necessarily OEM), so ebay isn't much of an option. Please help me find an online store that has these!

Thank you!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Where to order parts from? Please help!

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26 ... odel/GZ250

They're the best for price and service. You can search the fiche parts list and order specific pieces.

However, how much do you trust your mechanic? What symptoms has the bike been having? How many miles are on the bike now? If you and/or the previous owner was good with regular maintenance, then a complete rebuild sounds a little extreme? Did the bearing spin or something?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Is the bike rideable now? What does it do that your mechanic thinks it needs a rebuild. Did he do a compression test?

Old 03-21-2013, 04:50 AM   #4
tudorv

The compression is fine. It's not a top rebuild he's talking about, but a bottom one - crankshaft assembly. She is rideable.. but the engine doesn't sound right.. there's some (barely noticeable) knocking sounds and while riding there's a constant noise which I suspect is coming from those gearbox bearings.
I'm kind of depressed by this whole thing. He said it's not really worth buying separate parts and rebuilding, and that i'd be better off buying a used engine altogether. Dunno about that. I'm going to see another mechanic to get a second opinion.
Don't really trust this guy (but the noises are there, and that's a fact) as I told him to adjust my valves, which he did, but he also messed around with the mixture in the carb and now my bike just revvs by itself, and the idle is erratic - now it's high, now it's low/. Dunno what the hell he did. Feels like the engine has an air leak, but i know that can't be, because he didn't take down the carb.

I'm just lost with this bike.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Sounds like you need a second opinion for sure. Check for vacuum leaks on both the intake and discharge sides of the carb. Also check for the little plug that should be at the end of the airbox drain tube. Does the airbox itself seal properly? It must be airtight with no extra openings that are sometimes found.
Have you done an oil and filter change yet? I would do that soon and before you get your 2nd opinion. Also get the second opinion shop to recheck the valves but only after they hear it running to hopefully determine if it needs futher investigation.. With the valve adjust confirmed you then need to tackle the carb issue.
Here's hoping the bike just needs a bunch of TLC but if not a used engine is a cheaper option than a rebuild.
Keep us updated please.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
tudorv

I also did the oil and filter change, and cleaned out the air filter. I checked to see if he sealed it back into the airbox and it looks ok there. I'll check again.
As for the engine rebuild versus used engine, normally you would be right, but how the heck would I have a whole engine shipped to Romania. I'm guessing that's got to be expensive. I'll weigh the options and will post an update after the second opinion check.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

If he "fooled around with the mixture" in the carb, while doing a valve adjustment, I'll bet money he removed the tank. In doing so you have to pull vacuum lines and there are only so many things on the carb he can play with without pulling it apart, even if he left it on the bike. Vacuum leaks are so simple and common on these bikes, don't rule that out. The up and down idle is indicative of that.

Punch the throttle. If the Revs hang a little before falling back down, you're mixture is lean and you certainly have a leak. If the revs drop down quickly and too low, then you are rich. (You're going to be lean.)

For example, if he pulled the top off the carb, and wanted to fiddle with the needle, he could have ripped the little rubber diaphragm thats in there or even not set the little seal properly when he screwed the top back on... (Come to think of it, the bike searching for idle and trying to solve itself is a symptom of this. Personal experience here.)

Is there anyway you can get us a sound bite of a video clip of your bike running?

Did you have these noises and knocking sounds before you took it in? Does it "CLUNK" or does it "TICK"?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
tudorv

YES! The revs definitely hang a while before dropping, or sometimes they don't drop ar all. I have no idea what he did on the carb as I was not near the bike at all times. He said after pulling the spark plug that it was running lean because it was white-ish. So he will "fix" it for me. He did take down the tank.
I'll record a sound clip tomorrow. It used to be loud ticking and some clunking, now the ticking is gone since he adjusted the valves.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

So you're getting an occasional clunking and no more ticking? Clunking is a concern, but we need to hear it to know what it's coming from. See if you can isolate where the sound is coming from. (with a "clunk", I assume you can FEEL it, right?)

Pictures will help us a great deal. Get us some of both sides of the carb and we can at least verify the vacuum hose connections and routing. There are two little ones that come off the tank and they are often forgotten when putting the tank back on. If you aren't scared to get your hands dirty, we can walk you through a lot before you have to take it to a shop.

I would say at least hang with us until we determine what the hell is wrong with the bike before you make a commitment like a rebuild. If it's easier though, a second opinion in the meantime would be good. Wish you weren't on the other side of the planet.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
raul10141964

check the starter clutch
my was making noise like Bottom end before the starter clutch explode