Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 02-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: Stalling during first fifteen minutes

Thanks for the info guys. I am actually blessed with a lot of "ability." It's experience I lack, and that usually is the difference between getting a result and just wasting time in the garage. As softie pointed out, lots can go wrong with cleaning a carb. I used to be bolder about diving into this stuff, but over the years, I have found more and more that things are often no longer built to be easily serviced, and can be very tricky to disassemble and even trickier to re-assemble. My frst experience tearing down a notebook computer put me off electronics for years, until I finally sucked it up and replaced (successfully!) the color wheel on a 55 inch DLP TV. I only did it because I had already bought a plasma to replace it, the "do it yourself" cost was $75, the dealer cost was $600 and I figured the thing probably wasn't worth a lot more than that.

I think there's a good chance they really didn't do anything other than change the oil. In any case, I will be taking it back in.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
alanmcorcoran

alantf - what's the champion model in your GZ? Because of the awkward angle I was concerned I might have trouble getting the boot back on if the thing wasn't the exact size and shape. Not to mention I bought a 5/8" plug wrench.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
mr. softie

Alan- I have to tear my notebook computer down 2 or 3 times a day just to keep it running!:-)

I agree if the GZ is under warranty let Suzuki fix it! Ask them to install a new carb or whatever it takes to get the bike running right.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #14
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Not to mention I bought a 5/8" plug wrench.
You know that the tool kit comes with a plug wrench, right?
Old 02-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
alanmcorcoran

Unless I am mistaken, the tool kit wrench is 18mm. This is fine for the NGK plug but is too big for the Champion. I ended up not using it this time because I put the old plug back. Partly due to the size and partly due to not wanting to provide any "excuses" (Well, there's your problem sir, You can't put a mexican plug in a Japanese bike!) when I brought the bike back in.)

The wrench was like 5 bucks and it looked like it would go around corners. As you well know, you got to have small fingers to get at the plug as it is.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #16
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
Alan- I have to tear my notebook computer down 2 or 3 times a day just to keep it running.
Have you gone in deep? I swear, some of that stuff is not designed to be taken apart! Little teeny tiny screws, ZIF cables, spring loaded shit that flys out in all directions, glued on bits of foam that never go back, impossible angles for screwing and unscrewing (sexual innuendo opportunity) and I-Strip-On-Contact philips screws made out of butter. I had a fan problem with my last one - something that's a piece of cake to fix on a desktop. I gave up after I had 7/8's of the guts removed and still couldn't get to it. It's like a bad video game figuring out how to remove the layers without effing everything up. Bought a new notebook. Sent the old one back to Sony. They replaced the fan, the power supply, the motherboard and the hard drive (wiped my data.) I suspect because they didn't know what was making the noise so they just did everything. Now I have a spare. Can't they make the fan as easy to remove as the memory? Is that asking so much? Is the ONLY moving part besides the keyboard and drives. Collects dirt, s/b lubricated, has bearings that wear out... gee, wonder if it might go before the rest of it. Notebooks are built like disposable lighters.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Thanks for the info guys. I am actually blessed with a lot of "ability." It's experience I lack, and that usually is the difference between getting a result and just wasting time in the garage. As softie pointed out, lots can go wrong with cleaning a carb. I used to be bolder about diving into this stuff, but over the years, I have found more and more that things are often no longer built to be easily serviced, and can be very tricky to disassemble and even trickier to re-assemble. My frst experience tearing down a notebook computer put me off electronics for years, until I finally sucked it up and replaced (successfully!) the color wheel on a 55 inch DLP TV. I only did it because I had already bought a plasma to replace it, the "do it yourself" cost was $75, the dealer cost was $600 and I figured the thing probably wasn't worth a lot more than that.

I think there's a good chance they really didn't do anything other than change the oil. In any case, I will be taking it back in.

If you can work on the tiny and fragile shit in a computer or T.V. then you could breeze right through the GZ carb, it is a lot simpler than some I have encountered. But...... I agree with everyone else, your bike is under warranty, take it back and make them fix that shit and be done with it.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #18
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
But...... I agree with everyone else, your bike is under warranty, take it back and make them fix that shit and be done with it.
The vote so far:
Make Suzuki fix it: 1,342
Keep eeffing with it yourself: 0

This vote count was taken using "Chicago" rules !! :biggrin:
Old 02-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #19
alantf

Sorry Alan, But I Live in Tenerife now, so I don't know if they even sell Champions over here. My bike is coming up to 10,000 km - the point that the handbook says to replace the plug - so I'll see what the bike shop has in. If I remember rightly, the spare plug that I used to carry for my last bike over here (a 2 stroke, so I had to carry a spare because of the oiling up of the plug) was some Jap junk, but it seemed to work o.k. As for the size of the wrench - there are, as you say, 2 sizes, but I've found that if you need a certain plug, then whatever brand you get has the same wrench size. If the shop tells you that this or that plug is the equivalent, & then the wrench size is different, I would be inclined to be sceptical that they had given you the right plug. The whole idea of manufacturers making equivalent plugs is that they should all be EXACTLY the same. (or so I've found)

I've just checked the comparison chart, & this is what I've come up with :-

NGK (as fitted) DR8EA
AC Delco S102F
Autolite 2796
Champion Z9Y

But PLEASE double check these yourself if you can get another brand - or at least see if these correspond to what the salesman tells you!
Old 02-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #20
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
But PLEASE double check these yourself if you can get another brand - or at least see if these correspond to what the salesman tells you!
I used to swear by Champion plugs........until my S90 failed to start years ago (a LOT of years) and I almost got a hernia kicking it over so long. The plug had shorted out internally; no spark across the electrodes but nice spark from body to frame if you left it a little loose for the "standard" test. Been using NGKs since then (about 35 years) and never a failure.