Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
jake

Please help me get my bike started

I have a 2005 that's been sitting in my garage for 2 1/2 yrs. Got it to learn on and illness side tracked me. Have no way to get it to the shop so…I got a new battery, drained the gas and carb, put in fresh gas with some seafoam. Got it to start a couple times but only would run about 30 secs tops. Got all safety garbed up to try to get it to move but couldnt get it started again. Would chug chug chug but no fire. Did the spark plug test and saw the spark. Messed with draining the carb bowl thru the screw and some little green stuff came out in the gas. Probably flooded the carb at some point cause gas came out of the overflow. Things only got worse as it wouldn't chug chug chug anymore, wouldn't click when I push the start button and failed the spark plug test. Then I noticed the neutral light wasn't on. Battery dead or very low. What????? Left it alone and the next morning battery had charge but seems to die out after and few clicks of the start button- then back to nothing. What do I do now?? Thought I'd take the battery back to have it tested? Help?!???!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
blaine

Re: Please help me get my bike started

Your battery needs to be put on a 2 amp charger till battery is fully charged.Your carburetor sounds like it is really dirty and should be dissembled and cleaned.EDIT:If you can get it to run with fully charged battery the seafoam might do the trick.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Your battery needs to be put on a 2 amp charger till battery is fully charged.Your carburetor sounds like it is really dirty and should be dissembled and cleaned.EDIT:If you can get it to run with fully charged battery the seafoam might do the trick.
:plus1:

The battery charge might take as long as 10 hours.
You might want to drain the tank AGAIN now that the Seafoam has been in there a while.
Might want to put a new plug in too.
A little shot of starting fluid might help get it running.
Use about 3/4 choke and NO THROTTLE.

Seafoam is OK for routine use but for heavy duty cleaning, I like Berryman's B12 Chemtool better......in a case like yours, at about twice the recommended dose. I would NOT, however, mix it with Seafoam.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
jake

Thanks for the tips. Since it's obvious Im pretty clueless about all of this, I won't feel embarrassed to ask, where does the starting fluid go? As descriptive as possible please.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
magnum44270

take out your spark plug, give a little squirt in the hole. replace spark plug and everything else. and try to start

Old 05-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
New GZ250

Starting fluid, I've always sprayed it directly in to the carb. Think if you put in spark plug hole, it would evaporate by the time you get the plug back in. Spray in carb while cranking the motor over. (Pushing the starter button) "Always" worked for me! My starter fluid always was in an aerosol can, couldn't pour any where. Basically, or in the old days, it was ether.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
magnum44270

that too. on other bikes, the plugs are a little easier to get at.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
magnum44270

i would just caution, its use. a little goes a long way, and a lot could be a problem
Old 05-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #9
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum44270
i would just caution, its use. a little goes a long way, and a lot could be a problem

Be careful with the starting fluid.It is not good for your engine,use it only as a last resort.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum44270
take out your spark plug, give a little squirt in the hole. replace spark plug and everything else. and try to start
Arrrrgggghhhh.....where did you get your mechanics training, Disney World ??? :roll:

Seriously, if you don't have actual knowledge of a given subject, you should NOT GUESS. That can sometimes be dangerous. :shocked:

I haven't read the label instructions lately but I'm REAL sure that squirting it into the cylinder directly through a plug hole is NOT one of the suggested uses.

Starting fluid usually is ether. HIGHLY volitile. It is intended to be used by spraying a small amount, like a 1 sec. spray, into the AIR CLEANER......with everything assembled in working order. Then you try to start it as normal.

It will sometimes "help" the engine run if it isn't getting enough fuel via the normal channel. If your timing is good enough, you can repeat little sprays and keep the engine running for a while........a SHORT while, like 30 seconds or less, during which time you hope the "regular" process takes over and it runs on it's own.